Local News Bulletin

Garett Wins Democratic Nomination

Oberlin’s Janet
Garrett, a retired public school teacher, won the Democratic nomination
to run against Republican Representative Jim Jordan in November’s election. Garrett, who seeks to represent Ohio’s fourth district, previously ran against Jordan in 2014, when Jordan won with 68 percent of the vote. Garrett’s specific goals for the district include improving the job market, the educational system and senior care. She hopes that her message, combined with better name recognition, will help her against Jordan this time around.

Underground Upgrades

Oberlin’s Planning Commission approved Phases IIA and IIB of the Underground Railroad Center project on March 2, which are scheduled to begin in April and are projected to cost around $575,000. These upgrades include the construction of a 20-space parking lot, sidewalks, pathways and a 2,081-square-foot building to house bathrooms, a storage area, bike parking and a picnic pavilion. The URC expects Phase II to be completed by the end of the year.

Assistant Professors Receive Tenure

Professors Justin Emeka, Timothy LeFebvre, Christina Neilson, Darasko Opoku and Ellen Wurtzel were recently granted promotions from assistant to associate professors and continuous tenure. Emeka, OC ’95, is an Africana Studies and Theater professor, LeFebvre is a Voice professor, Neilson is an Art History professor, Opoku is an Africana Studies professor and Wurtzel is a History professor.