Security Report: Oct. 24 – Oct. 30, 2013

Thursday, Oct. 24

5:49 p.m. A student reported the theft of his locked bicycle from the concourse area at the football stadium; the bicycle is a one-speed, black and orange Schwinn.

Friday, Oct. 25

8:41 a.m. A custodial staff member reported a full-size couch missing from the first-floor lounge in Barrows Hall. The couch is patterned with blocks of blue, rust and brown and has three cushions.

Sunday, Oct. 27

9:45 p.m. After they returned from fall break, several students reported that the heat in their dorm rooms was not working. The Facilities manager on call was contacted and a heating plant technician responded.

Monday, Oct. 28

2:21 a.m. During a routine patrol of Dascomb Hall, an officer observed vandalism to several chairs, which had been overturned on the north side of the dormitory. The officer also observed a shed with a broken door, and the stakes and rope  attached to the door had been pulled out of the ground. A work order was placed for repairs.

9:30 p.m. A student called to report a strong odor consistent with burnt marijuana on the third floor of East Hall. Officers made contact with the occupant of the room in question. A glass bong containing burnt marijuana residue was observed in plain view on the desk and the smoke detector was covered. The pipe was confiscated and turned over to the Oberlin Police, and the covering was removed from the detector.

10:36 p.m. A Firelands resident reported a strong odor of cigarette smoke on the fourth floor. Officers responded and made contact with the resident of the room in question, who admitted to smoking in the room. The student was advised of College policies regarding smoking in buildings.

Tuesday, Oct. 29

1:44 a.m. Officers were requested at Johnson House after residents reported a possible gas odor. The stove, pilot lights and heating registers were checked and did not indicate any leaks. The Oberlin Fire Department also responded and obtained negative results on meter readings. A work order was filed to check the boiler system.

2:05 p.m. A staff member reported a possible unauthorized entry to her office in Rice Hall. Officers responded and nothing appeared to be missing. A follow-up investigation will continue.

5:46 p.m. Officers on routine patrol observed two cable locks used to secure patio chairs outside Bailey House that had been torched off. A work order was filed to have the chairs resecured to the patio.

Wednesday, Oct. 30

5:05 a.m. Officers were requested at Dascomb Hall to assist with an ill student. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Medical hospital for treatment.