Feature Photo: College Begins New Fundraising Initiative

Kerensa Loadholt, News Editor

Though new swings in Tappan Square and a piano-themed crosswalk mark some of the most recent changes to Oberlin’s campus, many aspects of the College have remained the same over the years.

Thus is the impetus behind the Still Oberlin campaign, a fundraising initiative the College launched this month. The campaign allows anyone who donates to the College during the month of April to request a photo of a specific location on campus or an Oberlin experience. The photo they request is taken and sent to them within a week.

Still Oberlin is quite a new venture for the College, though there have been similar initiatives, such as the Annual Fund Office’s “I Like Oberlin” month.

“As far as we know, Still Oberlin isn’t just new to Oberlin,” Connie Skingel, director of the Oberlin Annual Fund, wrote in an email to the Review. “It’s a completely fresh and new idea for annual fundraising. Other schools have already reached out to me to see if they can adopt this idea for their own institutions.”

With more than 10,000 alumni making donations to the Oberlin Annual Fund each year, the College is using the Still Oberlin campaign as a personal way to say thank you.

There have been over 125 photo requests so far. They include images of the mineral displays in the Geology Department, the mural in the Third World House lounge and tater tots from the Feve. All photos are available online.

“So far, I am very pleased with the positive response we have had from alumni and the Oberlin community,” Skingel said. “The campaign has inspired generous donations to the College and has resulted in wonderful memories being shared. As far as I am concerned, it is a success!”