Security Notebook

Thursday, Sept. 15

8:43 a.m. Safety and Security officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm in the basement of Johnson House caused by water dripping onto the detector. Electricians responded for repair.

1:06 p.m. A Safety and Security officer assisted an injured student on the east side of Bibbins Hall who fell backward over their bicycle and caught their ankle in the chain, creating a deep laceration. The officer transported the individual to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

1:20 p.m. A student reported the theft of their unlocked bicycle from the north side of Noah Hall. The bicycle is a single-speed Panama Jack Beach Cruiser with a red body and a black seat with a luggage rack. The bike is valued at $150 and was registered at the time.

Friday, Sept. 16

11:00 a.m. A student reported the theft of their phone from a locker in Philips gym. The white iPhone 5S is valued at $200 and is in a black case.

11:55 p.m. A student reported the theft of their backpack, which was left outside of the ’Sco while moving equipment. The backpack contained a MacBook Pro, an iPhone 6 in a dark blue case and a wallet containing credit cards and approximately $50 in cash. The individual responsible for the theft was apprehended through a phone app and charged. The property was returned to the owner.

Saturday, Sept. 17

5:50 p.m. Safety and Security officers and members of the Oberlin Police Department responded to a report of an individual climbing through a first floor window at Afrikan Heritage House. After a student described the individual, officers checked the building but were unable to locate anyone fitting the description.

5:02 p.m. Safety and Security officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm in the basement of Harkness House. The alarm could not be reset and an electrician was called for repair.

Sunday, Sept. 18

12:37 a.m. A Safety and Security officer on patrol observed an unauthorized party at a Village Housing unit on Elmwood Place. They shut down the live band and dispersed approximately 75 people from the house.

2:49 a.m. Safety and Security officers assisted a student ill from alcohol consumption at Burton Hall. An ambulance transported the student to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

11:43 p.m. Safety and Security officers assisted an intoxicated student at South Hall and transported the individual to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

Tuesday, Sept. 20

3:22 p.m. A Safety and Security officer responded to a report of unauthorized entry in Finney Chapel. They found several chairs stacked under the organ loft and no damage to the organ. The report is under investigation.

7:17 p.m. Safety and Security officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm in the dry room area in the basement of Harkness House. A work order was filed to check the system.

8:16 p.m. A Safety and Security officer assisted an ill employee at the Lord-Saunders kitchen. The individual declined transportation to the hospital.

9:05 p.m. A student reported being verbally harassed by two unknown individuals in a black truck while at the intersection of Lorain and Professor Streets at approximately 6:50 p.m. The report is under investigation.