Gym Expansion Will Increase Campus Accessibility

Dan Lev, Contributing Writer

After reading Louis Krauss’ article on the possible Philips extension in the Sept. 16 issue of the Review, “Trustees to Consider Philips Gym Expansion,” I wanted to offer my voice as a captain of the Oberlin College men’s soccer team and a former student senator. I believe an extension to Philips gym is worthy of trustee-granted funds because of the impact it would have not only on the Athletics department, but on the Oberlin community as a whole.

Philips was built in the 1970s and, as a result, much of the building is outdated and costly to maintain. For example, one of the main goals of the athletic facility upgrades is a new pool. It is likely that the long-term costs of maintaining an old pool will be more expensive than upgrading it now. Considering our pool is used by the College, local swim teams and the community, it is an essential part of our athletic facilities. From a fiscal perspective, investing College funds now to make the pool cost-efficient seems justified.

Another aspect of the planned extension is an expanded wellness space. With renovations, the current weight room could become more focused on varsity athletics. As a varsity athlete, I am obviously excited and biased in my support for this proposal. However, I think the benefits of such an extension would reach beyond varsity athletics to the campus at large. Through talking with students since Krauss’ article was published, I have come to understand that Philips gym offers an unwelcome atmosphere for many. Currently, varsity athletes dominate the weight room from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., which may intimidate infrequent users of the weight room. If new facilities were built, I hope that the athletic department would use the new facilities for general use by the campus and community.

Further, I ask that the Athletics department make an effort to accommodate the needs of the broader campus community. This may come in the form of reserved hours for women and trans people or increased space and time for athletics classes. I hope this addition helps make Philips more welcoming for the entire student body and to those who have felt underserved in the past.

The College’s finances are tight. The College should not make an expenditure the magnitude of an expansion to Philips gym without proper diligence. That being said, an investment into new athletic facilities is an investment into campus life that will benefit the entire school. I call upon the trustees to approve these plans for the wellness of the College, the city of Oberlin and the future of Oberlin athletics.