Security Report

Security Advisory

An unknown suspect vandalized a faculty member’s house early yesterday morning. According to the Chronicle-Telegram, the call to police came in around 3:40 a.m. President Marvin Krislov and various deans sent an email to the student body warning students of the issue, and said that “the outside of [the faculty member’s] home was vandalized and a note left behind that included anti-Semitic and threatening language.”

Thursday, Nov. 10

2:05 a.m. While a Safety and Security officer was closing Mudd library, a fire alarm was activated on the second and fourth floors. Members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded.

Pull station levers were found activated on both floors. The officers were unable to locate the person(s) responsible and reset the alarms.

11 a.m. Staff reported a work of art on the north lawn of the Art Building to Allen Memorial Art Museum Security. The student responsible explained that the piece needed to be seen for a project. Staff advised the student of policies and liabilities.

11:02 a.m. Staff reported graffiti on the sidewalks on the north and east sides of Peters Hall and led a work order for removal.

3:54 p.m. An officer conducting a routine check of Langston Hall observed a lower ventilation panel kicked in on a restroom door on the first floor. A work order was led for repair.

Saturday, Nov. 12

8:51 p.m. Officers assisted a student who was feeling ill and fainted in Hall Annex. e student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

Sunday, Nov. 13

12 a.m. An officer on patrol observed individuals setting a sign on fire on the south side of Barrows Hall. Additional officers responded and observed a group of about eight individuals running from the area. The fire was extinguished.

12:41 a.m. Officers assisted a student ill from alcohol consumption on the second floor of Barrows Hall. The student was coherent and responsive throughout conversation with officers and declined medical treatment at the time.

Tuesday, Nov. 15

6:34 a.m. Custodial staff reported finding a clock torn from the wall and shattered on the second floor of King Building.

4:19 p.m. An officer on routine patrol observed that a large slate piece shifted out of place on the north side of Harvey House. It appeared the wall was struck hard enough to move the bricks out of place. A work order was led for repair.

7:55 p.m. Officers responded to a complaint of smoking inside a village housing unit on North Main Street. The officers made contact with the occupant, observed visible smoke in the unit and detected an odor consistent with burnt marijuana. They advised the occupant of College’s smoking policies.

Wednesday, Nov. 16

1:15 a.m. A resident of a village housing unit on College Street reported hearing a window shaking on the first floor and observed an individual looking in the window. Officers responded and checked the area, but could not locate an individual fitting the description. Extra patrols were conducted throughout the night, and the Oberlin Police Department was advised.