Prangley Smashes Pool Record at Wittenberg Meet

First-year+Paige+Davies+races+in+the+200-yard+butterfly.+The+swimming+and+diving+teams+begin+the+Fredonia+Invitational+in+Fredonia%2C+NY%2C+today.+

OC Athletics

First-year Paige Davies races in the 200-yard butterfly. The swimming and diving teams begin the Fredonia Invitational in Fredonia, NY, today.

Alexis Dill, Sports Editor

The swimming and diving teams battled the Wittenberg University Tigers in Springfield, Ohio, on Saturday, Nov. 19 but both the men’s and women’s teams came up short in a key North Coast Athletic Conference meet. The Yeowomen dropped a thrilling matchup 107–116 while the Yeomen fell 125–90. Despite the outcome, the afternoon was filled with multiple first-place finishes, impressive rookie performances and a new pool record.

“I think we have really come into our own this season,” said senior freestyler Maddie Prangley. “Every person on the team has the potential to earn some points.”

Although the Tigers took an early lead, senior backstroker and freestyler Kathleen Falk got things going for the Yeowomen when she achieved a mark of 11 minutes, 24.85 seconds in the 1,000-yard free, claiming first place.

Prangley, who was recently named NCAC Swimmer of the Week, had another big day. Her afternoon began with a win in the 200-free with a time of 1:58.35. But Prangley’s most impressive race of the afternoon occurred later, when she set a new pool record with a 1:58.35 finish in the 500-free. First-year Devyn Malouf earned a second-place finish, logging a time of 2:06.38. Malouf and Prangley together earned their team a total of 13 points.

Another Yeowoman who had an impressive showing was senior Vera Hutchison. Hutchison ended the day with two first-place finishes. In the 100 individual medley, she posted a time of 1:04.62. She also completed the 100-yard fly in a season-best 1:01.86.

The first-years made their presence known as Alex Grande and Sarah Dalgleish contributed a total of seven points to their team’s overall score after placing first and second, respectively, in the 50-yard free. Grande’s time was 27.28, while Dalgleish reached the wall at a time of 28.15. Grande also earned a second-place finish in the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 1:06.16.

The men’s team also walked away with some encouraging results against Wittenberg. Sophomore Jacque Forbes and a trio of rookies led the way for the Yeomen. Forbes recorded a time of 22.74 in the 50-yard free, scoring a second-place finish. He then won the 100-free with a time of 49.82. First-year Michael Lin recorded his first triumph of the day in the 200-free with a mark of 1:51.82. Later he was the meet’s lone swimmer to finish the 100-yard breaststroke in under a minute — he hit the wall at 59.36. His fellow first-year, Jonathan Liu, achieved his season-best time of 58.73 in the 100-fly and won second place. Rookie Jack McKeown also earned a second-place finish in the 100-yard backstroke.

With the first-year swimmers continuing to impress, Forbes said he believes this bodes well for the team’s success at the Fredonia Invitational.

“Our freshmen class is great, and I am looking forward to seeing them perform [after getting] a little more rest,” he said.

Rookie Katja Zoner and senior Jean-Paul Gilbert dove unopposed. Zoner posted a mark of 202.10 on the one-meter board, while Gilbert achieved a mark of 208.25. On the three-meter board Zoner scored a 176.15 and Gilbert notched 183.60.

The teams will now set their sights on the Fredonia Invitational. The three-day event in Fredonia, NY, which begins today and ends on Sunday, represents an excellent opportunity for the teams to build off their positive individual performances.

After the Fredonia Invitational, the teams will have nearly four weeks to train before their next meet. They will travel to Stuart, FL for the Ed Kennedy Invitational on Dec. 31. With significant time in between meets, the Yeomen and Yeowomen are determined to head into the break with momentum.

“I think my goals for this weekend would be for everyone to leave everything they have in the water,” Prangley said. “And that not only means I want them to swim fast, but to put up a good race and cheer on their teammates.”