Yeomen Record First Conference Win

Courtesy of OC Athletics

First-year Regan Chasney cradles the ball while running past a defender. The Yeomen conclude their season tomorrow when they host DePauw University at 1 p.m. on Senior Day at the Knowlton Athletics Complex.

Sydney Allen, Editor-in-Chief

Men’s lacrosse broke its five-game North Coast Athletic Conference losing streak, defeating the Wabash College Little Giants 19–7 Saturday. Riding the momentum, the Yeomen downed the Hiram College Terriers 29–1 Tuesday to improve their record to 6–8 overall and 2–5 in North Coast Athletic Conference play.

The Yeomen defense set the pace for Saturday’s game, shutting out the Little Giants in the first half as first-year goalkeeper Calvin Filson went five-for-five on saves. Offensively, the Yeomen outshot Wabash 39–20 on goal. Reflecting on a season of ups and downs, Filson said he has grown from each step of the way.

“It’s been humbling in net this year,” Filson said. “For the most part, I’ve seen it all. There’s no tougher position in sports I think than playing goalie in lacrosse. I’ve been fortunate enough to have the opportunity to play for a phenomenal group of guys and coaches this season.”

Sophomore Jay Messina and senior Eric Hager led the way for the Yeomen with four goals each. First-year Regan Chasney also netted three goals while senior Jack Fabrizio and junior Reese Koburov added two tallies each. The Yeomen also dominated in the faceoff circle as senior Kinori Rosnow won 21 of 23 draws.

Though the team was victorious, the Yeomen are still determined to improve their skills during the final week of the regular season.

“We still this year have not played a full 60 minutes,” Messina said. “Defense played a full first half [at Wabash.] Offensively, we still have had some problems here and there, but we definitely strung a bunch of goals together. We definitely still have a lot of things to work on going into Saturday.”

After learning from Saturday’s match, Oberlin dominated Hiram in a well-rounded effort Tuesday. Eleven different Yeomen scored goals while Filson and senior Jorden Mandel were dominant in goal. Scoring nine goals in the first quarter, Oberlin didn’t look back.

Just over two minutes into the first quarter, junior midfielder Reese Koburov ignited the offense with his first goal of the game. The goal was quickly followed up seven seconds later by a score from first-year Erik Zeug. The offensive outburst was a theme throughout the game as the Yeomen outshot Hiram 74–11 and 54–7 on goal.

Hager led the Yeomen with a career-high eight goals while Fabrizio tallied five. The game also represented an opportunity for numerous players to contribute, as sophomore Elie Small and junior John Pierce logged their first goals of the season.

With two victories over the past week, Oberlin will look to end its season on the right foot despite being eliminated from postseason play.

“Most of our conference games are against very competitive teams,” said junior Sean Somerville. “I’m proud of the way our guys have fought through the season, and I think we were able to minimize the mistakes against Wabash and Hiram, which led to better outcomes.”

Tomorrow, the Yeomen will step onto the field for the last time as they host the DePauw University Tigers on Senior Day at 1 p.m. Falling to DePauw 9–8 in an emotional overtime battle last season, the Yeomen say they are ready for revenge. The sixth-place Tigers, who are 7–6 overall and 2–5 in the NCAC, are one spot ahead of Oberlin in the conference standings.

“DePauw is a very solid team,” Somerville said. “We won a close game against them in 2015 and lost last year in overtime. We’re working hard this week to make sure we are firing on all cylinders come Saturday.”