Security Report: Oct. 2 – Oct. 9, 2013

Staff

Wednesday, Oct. 2

2:19 a.m. Officers were requested to assist a student who injured her leg while walking near the King Building. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

12:08 p.m. A student reported the theft of her bicycle from the northeast side of the Science Center. The bicycle is a women’s 26” Trek with yellow tape on the handlebars and an approximate value of $500. The bicycle was locked to itself at the time of the theft.

9:40 p.m. Staff members conducting Life Safety inspections located a glass bong with an odor of burnt marijuana in plain view in a room on the second floor of Talcott Hall. The bong was confiscated and turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

10:10 p.m. Staff members conducting Life Safety inspections in Talcott Hall located a large sword and dagger in plain view in a room on the third floor of Talcott Hall. The items were transported to the Safety and Security Office.

10:16 p.m. Staff members conducting Life Safety inspections located a knife in plain view in a room on the second floor of Fairchild House. The item was transported to the Safety and Security Office.

Thursday, Oct. 3

1:33 p.m. A DeCafé employee who had an allergic reaction to a bee sting was transported to the Mercy Allen Hospital.

1:15 p.m. A student reported that an unknown juvenile robbed him of his backpack in the area of North Pleasant and East Lorain Streets. The individual stole a black Patagonia back pack, a MacBook Pro computer, an American Musical History book and a book on African Art. The Oberlin Police Department was alerted and a “Special Alert” was issued by the Safety & Security Office.

7:45 p.m. Staff members conducting Life Safety inspections located a grinder and a small plastic bottle containing a green leafy substance consistent with marijuana in plain view in a room on the first floor of Dascomb Hall. The items were confiscated and turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

8:33 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Police Department responded to a report of a fight in Tappan Square near the Clark Bandstand. Two juveniles — a brother and sister — were arguing about school events. They were sent on their way.

Friday, Oct. 4

8:40 p.m. Officers were requested to assist a student at Dascomb, who after smoking marijuana, fell and bloodied his nose. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

Saturday, Oct. 5

11:38 p.m. An officer on patrol observed over 200 students at a party on Woodland Street that was authorized for only 25 students. Members of the Oberlin Police Department responded to assist in dispersing the crowd.

11:58 p.m. Members of the Oberlin Police Department reported receiving a noise complaint for an Elmwood Place residence. A large crowd was observed at the residence upon arrival. Contact was made with the host, music was turned down and attendees were asked to leave.

Monday, Oct. 7

10:01 a.m. Staff members conducting Life Safety inspections located contraband in plain view in a Village House. A glass pipe with suspected burnt marijuana residue was confiscated, and a cup with ashes, a wooden incense holder with partially burnt incense sticks and a glass ashtray containing ashes were found. The glass pipe was turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

2:10 p.m. Members of the grounds staff reported a chair that was destroyed on the north side of Dascomb Hall. It is currently not known who is responsible for the damage.

7:47 p.m. A student reported the theft of her locked bicycle from Noah Hall. The bicycle is a purple and silver 7 speed Trek 820 with blue-gray handlebars and a metal rack on the back.

8:36 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Goldsmith apartments. The cause of the alarm was a smoking tortilla located on the electric stove. The area was cleared and the alarm was reset.

Tuesday, Oct. 8

8 a.m. An officer on routine patrol of Keep Cottage observed fresh graffiti on the walls inside the east end of the basement. The letters and ghost-like figures were drawn in gray spray paint.

11:30 a.m. Staff members conducting Life Safety inspections reported a hookah in plain view in a room on the first floor of Allencroft House. The hookah was transported to the Safety and Security Office and placed in the property room.

2:10 p.m. Staff members conducting Life Safety inspections located a multi-colored pipe containing a residue consistent with burnt marijuana in plain view on a table of a Village House on Lorain Street. The item was turned over to the Oberlin Police.

3:30 p.m. An officer on patrol of Hales Gymnasium reported signs of unauthorized entry to the Crane pool area. Hinge pins were removed from the doors, the padlock on the second floor balcony was unlocked and 2 x 4’s were removed from a set of double doors on the wall of the pool deck. The incident is currently under investigation.