Track and Field Team Sees Success in Only Home Meet of the Season

Erickson Andrews

The Yeomen and Yeowomen again proved their dominance on the track this past weekend with a strong showing at their only home track meet of the year. During a combination of their home opener and senior day, the Yeowomen bested the rest of the six-team field of Ed- inboro University, Ursuline College, Lake Erie College, the College of Wooster and Heidelberg University by 38 points at the annual Bob Kahn Invitational, while the Yeomen finished in second place.

“It was a strong showing for our guys and girls out there,” said Head Coach Jason Hudson. “A couple of our athletes took their game to the next level when it mattered.”

Among those athletes who stepped up in the spotlight was junior Molly Martorella. Martorella won the 5,000 meters in 17 minutes, 32.22 seconds, the eighth fastest time in the country this year, and then took second in the 1,500 meters, clocking a time of 4:54.03. Senior Marissa Clardy also had a standout performance as she took second in the 400 meters, and then turned around and ran the anchor leg of the winning 4×400 relay team with the help of junior Sophia Brancazio, sophomore Margaret Miller and junior Katrina Gelwick. Gelwick also placed third in the 400 meters, finishing just over one second behind Clardy.

In the field events, first-year Larisa Lewis threw the shot put 39-05.25 to finish second. In the hammer throw sophomore Tiffany Henry (130-01), first-year Caitlyn Grubb (129-10) and sohomore Elizabeth Wilson (125-03) finished third through fifth, respectively.

For the men, first-year Geno Arthur, senior Daniel Johnson and first-year Sam Coates-Finke took first through third respectively in the 5,000 meters. Another notable performance came in the 1,500 meters, as junior Jimmy Taylor and sophomore Leo Harrington took first and third. Sophomore Jerry Choi finished first in the 400-meter hurdles as he clocked in at 57.68, and senior Alex Guo took second in the long jump with a distance of 21-00. In field events, first-year Ryan Hickey turned in Oberlin’s best results in the discus and the hammer throw with distances of 35.16 meters and 32.48 meters.

The track and field team will be back in action this coming weekend at the All-Ohio Championships on the campus of Ohio Wesleyan University. Select athletes will also be running at the Bucknell University Bison Outdoor Classic today and tomorrow.