T&F Impresses at Indoor Championships

Sarah Orbuch, Staff Writer

The Yeomen and Yeowomen concluded the indoor track and field season with many impressive performances this past weekend at the North Coast Athletic Conference Indoor Championships. Junior Sophia Brancazio, sophomores Margaret Miller and Ashley Parish and senior Marissa Clardy started the meet off with a conference and school record in the 4×200-meter relay, stopping the clock at 1 minute, 44.57 seconds. Miller and Brancazio both returned for the 60-meter hurdles, placing third and fourth, respectively, while Clardy placed second in the 400 meters.

Senior Amanda Gracia, Miller, Clardy and junior Katrina Gelwick claimed first place in the 4×400-meter relay. Junior Molly Martorella won the 3,000-meter race, coming in 30 seconds ahead of the competition, and also finished second in the mile, earning her the NCAC Female Distance Runner of the Year award and an invite to Nationals.

The Yeowomen also made their mark in the field events. First-year Caitlyn Grubb set the school record and claimed first place in shot put, while Larisa Lewis, also a first-year, claimed second. Senior jumper Jasmine Owens placed second in the long jump. The Yeowomen ended the meet in second place, close behind Ohio Wesleyan University.

“I think the team performance was amazing,” said Martorella. “The distance ladies who all doubled- stayed strong through both races [the 3,000 meter and the mile], the women’s 4×400 crushed the field, and our throwers have become an impressive force on the team.”

“My hope for Nationals is that I will compete well,” Martorella continued. “I am not so much concerned about times or even final placing. I just want to engage in the race, make it past [the preliminaries] and challenge some girls in the finals.”

The Yeomen got off to a fast start on the first day of competition, as senior Alex Guo broke a school record and took first place in the men’s triple jump; Guo also placed second in the long jump the next day. First-year Nate Danko finished third in the pole vault, while sophomore Evan Finch finished close behind in fifth.

On the track, the Yeomen placed fourth and fifth in the 3,000-meter race, courtesy of sophomore Leo Harrington and senior Daniel Johnson. Sophomore Jerry Choi placed seventh in the 200-meter dash. The Yeomen ended the meet in seventh place, as Wabash College claimed first.

“Our team performed great this weekend,” Guo said. “Our women’s team had a lot of great performances on the track and in the field, which really showed their depth and how dangerous they will be for the next few years. On the men’s side, everyone really stepped up, resulting in many personal bests. I think I performed well, too. Things have come together, and I’m ready to compete at a higher level during the spring.”