Security Report: Feb. 28 – March 5, 2013

Staff

Thursday, Feb. 28

8:55 a.m. A member of the custodial staff reported finding a coffee lid with a substance consistent with marijuana on the fire alarm unit on the second floor hallway of Dascomb Hall. An officer responded and the item was turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

8:47 p.m. A resident of Talcott Hall reported an odor of natural gas in the kitchen area. An officer, an HVAC technician and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded. The pilot light on a burner in the kitchen was found to be out, with the gas left on. The area was ventilated and pilot light was relit.

9:50 p.m. A staff member reported someone smoking on the second floor of East Hall. The occupant of the room in question was contacted and admitted to smoking in the room and to bagging the smoke detector. The bag was removed and College policies were explained.

Friday, March 1

5:12 a.m. Officers were requested to assist an ill student at Tank Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

11:16 a.m. A student reported the theft of his wallet from the floor of Philips Gym while he was playing basketball. The wallet is brown and contained approximately $12, credit cards and a driver’s license. The cards were canceled. 12:27 p.m. An officer responded to a report of a deer hitting the door glass in an exterior stairwell on the south side of Bibbins Hall. The deer jumped out of the stairwell and ran across the parking lot. Officers removed a second deer from a trellis in the off-street parking area by the Oberlin Police Department.

Saturday, March 2

12:57 p.m. An officer on a routine patrol observed two new sections of wooden fencing vandalized on the north side of the Union Street parking lot.

10:44 p.m. A student reported vandalism to her vehicle while it was parked in the Gray Gables lot. The passenger side mirror was removed but no other damage was observed.

Sunday, March 3

1:25 a.m. Officers responded to Woodland Street after receiving a report of students kicking the wooden fence behind a residence. As officers approached, the students dispersed. Officers found one section of fencing knocked over.

Monday, March 4

1:26 a.m. A student reported the theft of an iPhone 4 from the hallway outside the racquetball court at Philips Gym on Tuesday between 4:30 p.m. and 5 p.m. The iPhone is black and has several large cracks.

7:39 p.m. A student reported that he believed he was followed by a van in the area between Elm Street and South Main Street/Route 58. The van appeared to be white in color and was possibly occupied by three male individuals. The area was searched, but the van was not located.

9:15 p.m. A student reported the theft of his unlocked bicycle from the porch of a Goldsmith apartment approximately one week ago. The bicycle is a blue and silver Giant bike and is valued at approximately $500.

10:33 p.m. A student reported that while walking in the area of College and Cedar Streets, individuals driving by in a small vehicle yelled something that could not be understood, then stopped and exited the vehicle. Officers and members of the Oberlin Police Department responded and a search of the area was conducted. The vehicle was not located.

Tuesday, March 5

A Special Alert was released on Tuesday by the Safety and Security office regarding harassment of students from occupants of vehicles on city streets as students travel about campus during evening hours. The incidents reported to the Safety and Security office overnight from Monday to Tuesday morning include:

A student walking westbound on West College Street near Cedar Street at approximately 10:30 p.m. was approached by two occupants of an older silver Toyota Corolla. The car stopped, and the occupants shouted an unknown statement toward the student. Two individuals exited the vehicle. The student ran from the area and then reported the incident.

A student reported a similar incident of being harassed by a male individual who yelled obscenities and remarks of a disparaging nature toward the perceived sexual orientation of the student, who was walking on North Main Street between 9:30 and 10 p.m, from a vehicle of the same description.

A student reported being harassed by a male yelling obscenities and remarks of a disparaging nature towards the perceived sexual orientation of the student between 9:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. in the area of West Lorain and Professor Streets, again from a vehicle of the same description.

8:33 a.m. A member of the custodial staff reported graffiti on a dumpster outside of Talcott Hall. A face, which appeared to be female, was drawn in yellow soluble marker. Additional inoffensive writing was found on the electrical transformer near the dumpster. Both instances of graffiti were removed.

4:03 p.m. Officers responded to a report of graffiti on the bulletin board west of the Cox Administration building. A skull painted on a piece of poster board was removed.

11:25 p.m. Officers responded to a 9-1-1 call at Keep Cottage to assist an incoherent student who had smoked too much marijuana. The student was transported by ambulance to Mercy Allen Hospital.

Editors’ Note: In the early hours of Monday morning a person who appeared to be wearing a KKK robe and hood was seen in the area between Spanish House and the Edmonia Lewis Center and in the vicinity of Afrikan Heritage House. This was not included in the Security Report but an e-mail was sent to the entire student body.