Mental Health Services Gets Revamped

This is the first in a two-part series on Mental Health at Oberlin. The second part will focus on details of what new mental health initiatives will entail.

Elizabeth Kuhr, Staff Writer

Last week, Dean of Students Eric Estes e-mailed the student body with several new mental health initiatives that have been put into place, including a student advisory group, several grief workshops and a peer-to-peer outreach program. These initiatives are part of a renewed commitment by students, faculty and staff alike to create more awareness regarding mental health on campus.

“We really want to create awareness, reduce stigma,” said Director of Student Health and Counseling Services John Harshbarger. “What we’re taking a look at is how we can support each other in this community and continue to do that in ways that feel really good to all of us.”

Spearheaded by a handful of groups and departments on campus, the demand for reform has been brewing for several years. In particular, the student-led chapter of the national organization Active Minds has been on the forefront of discussing change.

“We have been talking about various projects for an extremely long time,” said College senior and co-Chair of Active Minds Kelsi Hurdle.

Last semester, listening sessions that occurred as part of the search for a new director of Student Health and Counseling Services brought to light issues students have with the mental health programs and services that are offered at Oberlin. The sessions revealed that one major roadblock for students seeking help is the attitude students have toward psychological well-being.

“People were concerned with the culture on campus, that there is a stigma,” said senior Tim McCarthy. “That … mental health problems … are just something that [doesn’t] get talked about.”

In addition to the listening sessions and student group discussions, recent student suicides — which have shocked and saddened many in the community — have pushed Oberlin into action.

“Oberlin is a place where we … know how to change things,” said sophomore Christine Antonsen. “But in the wake of these situations … it’s really hard to know what to do and it’s scary.”

The administration has heard these concerns and will respond with institutional changes.

“It’s been clear to me that we need to do even more to provide strong services to students,” said Oberlin College President Marvin Krislov. “People need … to know that it’s okay to ask for help.”

Working hand in hand, both students and faculty involved in the project say they want to make College mental health resources more readily available and relevant to life at Oberlin. Many students are reaching out to those involved in hopes of helping instate these new initiatives.

“We’ve been expanding, which is very nice because then we can get more things done,” said Hurdle. “I’m really excited that finally these sort of ideas that we’ve been discussing are coming to life.”