Security Report: Feb. 7 – Feb. 12, 2013

Staff

Thursday, Feb. 7

2:15 a.m. An officer securing Mudd Library was given an unattended backpack that belonged to a student. A note was left in the student’s room regarding the recovered backpack, and it was returned at 4:50 a.m.

7:03 a.m. Officers were requested to assist with a student who passed out at Philips Gym. By the time officers arrived, the student was conscious and alert. Medical treatment was declined at the time.

2:21 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at the Art Domes. No smoke or fire was located and no activated detectors could be found. Electricians responded to repair the problem.

Friday, Feb. 8

2:10 p.m. A student reported the theft of items from a package sent to the mailroom for him. Missing were several packages of cookies, candy bars and medication. The Oberlin Police Department also responded.

3:37 p.m. An officer on patrol in Kahn Hall located a small container on a heating duct that contained a small amount of a substance consistent with marijuana. The container was turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

10:22 p.m. Officers were requested to assist with an intoxicated student who was in and out of consciousness at Dascomb Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital by ambulance.

Saturday, Feb. 9

11:17 p.m. An officer responded to Noah Hall after graffiti made with a black marker was found on the north exterior glass door. A work order was filed for cleanup.

11:44 p.m. Officers made contact with an intoxicated male on the third floor of Barrows Hall who was being extremely loud. The individual denied smoking or drinking but was encouraged to stay in his room for the evening.

Sunday, Feb. 10

The Office of Safety and Security released a special alert with regards to reports of bias-based writings which “involved symbols, writings or disparaging or offensive terms toward race, gender, religion, sexual orientation or national origin.”

12:08 a.m. Officers were requested to shut down an unauthorized party in Kahn Hall. They confiscated and disposed of the alcohol, and the attendees were dispersed.

12:57 a.m. Officers were requested to assist with a student who was ill from alcohol consumption on the third floor of Barrows Hall. The student was coherent and answered all of the questions that she was asked. She was escorted to her room for the night.

5:25 p.m. A resident of Talcott Hall reported an odor consistent with burnt marijuana on the third floor. The occupant of the room in question admitted to smoking. A multi-colored glass pipe that was in plain view was confiscated and turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

5:59 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm in the basement kitchen at Asia House which was caused by smoke from a dirty oven. The students were advised to clean the oven before using it again, and the alarms were reset.

Monday, Feb. 11

7:04 a.m. A member of the custodial staff reported vandalism to a first-floor door on the south side of Langston Hall. The wood panels on the bottom of the door were removed and a work order was filed to replace the panels.

7:30 a.m. An officer found a number of metal forks in the men’s bathroom toilet in the basement of Burton Hall. A work order was filed for cleanup.

9:44 a.m. Officers were requested to assist with a student who fainted in the art building. The student regained conscious and was given food. She felt better after eating and declined medical treatment at that time.

Tuesday, Feb. 12

8:57 p.m. An officer who was beginning to conduct a fire drill in Fairchild House observed a burning candle in the lounge. The student was advised of College regulations and disposed of the candle.

9:09 p.m. A student reported the theft of a black leather jacket with gray hoodie insert from the second floor of Stevenson Hall. The jacket is a Guess brand and had a pair of black and pink earbuds in the pocket.

9:15 p.m. A student reported an odor consistent with marijuana coming from a room on the third floor of South Hall. The occupant of the room denied smoking anything in the room. He was advised of College regulations.