Security Report: Dec. 6 – Dec. 11, 2012

Staff

Thursday, Dec. 6

5:36 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at a Goldsmith apartment. The cause of the alarm was smoke from cooking. The area was cleared of smoke, and the alarm was reset.

11:38 p.m. A student reported an odor of burned marijuana coming from a room on the first floor of Barrows Hall. Officers made contact with the occupant of the room and confiscated a jar containing a substance consistent with marijuana and three glass pipes. The items were turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

Friday, Dec. 7

1:48 a.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Burton Hall. Upon arrival, officers found an unattended pot of grease and potatoes on the stove, which had overflowed. The area was cleared of smoke, and the alarm was reset.

4:32 a.m. An employee reported that the windshield of her car had been shattered while parked in the parking lot by Finney Chapel sometime between 11 p.m. on Dec. 6 and 4:15 a.m. on Dec. 7. The Oberlin Police Department also responded. A second vehicle with shattered windows was also found. Nothing appeared to be missing from either vehicle. The incident is still under investigation.

9:57 a.m. A student reported the theft of a black peacoat while at a party at a Union Street apartment. The jacket contained an orange Inspire Android phone, a phone charger, an ID and approximately $30.

10:59 a.m. A staff member reported damage to an audio control panel. It appeared that the unit was possibly dropped or accidentally pushed onto the floor, as the cabinet was still intact.

5:43 p.m. A resident of Harkness House reported the theft of her unattended laptop from the main floor lounge. The computer is a MacBook Pro with several stickers on its exterior and is valued at approximately $3,000.

Saturday, Dec. 8

5:06 a.m. A resident of Price Hall reported that an unknown person had attempted to open the door to her room. The door was locked, but the person could be heard trying other doors. Officers responded, and the building was checked, along with Kade and Harvey Houses, but the individual could not be located.

1:04 p.m. A student reported the theft of a small brown leather backpack from a party on Elmwood Place the previous night. Inside the backpack was a wallet, driver’s license, credit and debit cards, a Nordstrom gift card, a Canon Powershot digital camera valued at $400, a small pink flip video recorder valued at $100, an ID and house keys. A search of the area was made but no items were recovered. The credit cards and ID were canceled.

6:52 p.m. Officers were requested to assist an injured employee who had slipped in water on the floor in the kitchen at Stevenson Dining Hall. The employee was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment of an injured knee and ankle.

Sunday, Dec. 9

12:03 a.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at a Goldsmith apartment. Upon arrival, approximately 80 to 100 students were observed exiting the building. The cause of the alarm was steam from a fog machine. The alarm was reset, and the party was shut down. The fog machine and alcohol were confiscated.

4:26 a.m. A student reported that an unknown person entered his unlocked room while he was sleeping. The unknown person exited the room immediately. Officers checked the building but did not locate the individual.

12:51 p.m. A student reported the theft of his black Sager NP9130 laptop from his Village housing room on Professor Street.

1:04 p.m. Safety and Security officers, members of the Oberlin Fire Department and Facilities staff responded to a student stuck in the elevator between the second and third floors at Wilder. A fastener from an outfit on a rack of costumes had been caught, stopping the elevator. The student was assisted from the elevator.

Monday, Dec. 10

1:20 a.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on the second floor of Barrows Hall. The cause of the alarm was students cooking eggs on a dirty stove.

Tuesday, Dec.11

12:20 a.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at a Goldsmith apartment. The cause of the alarm was smoke from cooking. The area was cleared of smoke, and the alarm was reset.