Security Report: March 29 – April 3, 2012

Staff

Friday, March 29

7:52 a.m. A member of the custodial staff reported a suspicious individual looking into vehicles in the Conservatory parking lot. The individual was described as being a 40- to 45-year-old male with blondish hair and beard, wearing a short black leather jacket. Officers checked the Conservatory and surrounding area, but the individual could not be located.

8:25 a.m. An officer on patrol observed non-offensive graffiti in yellow soluble marker on an electrical vault on the west side of Talcott Hall. The graffiti was removed.

10:06 a.m. A faculty member reported the theft of ladder racks from the Theater and Dance van parked in the Willard Court parking lot. The theft occurred within the previous two days.

1:44 p.m. Area coordinators requested assistance from a Safety and Security officer after smelling an odor consistent with burnt marijuana coming from a room on the first floor of Barrows. The officer made contact with the occupant, who denied smoking in the room.

8:22 p.m. A student reported vandalism to a picture displayed on the west wall of Saunders lounge. An unknown person or persons drew a “Chief Wahoo” picture on the canvas along and made two tears in the canvas next to the drawing. The faculty resident was notified.

9:36 p.m. Officers were requested to assist an ill patron at the Oberlin Inn. The individual was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital by ambulance staff.

9:56 p.m. Officers responded to a party in Dascomb Hall. An officer made contact with students and observed a hookah in plain view. Students were cooperative and said that the hookah was used with flavored tobacco. The hookah was confiscated until the end of the school year.

9:59 p.m. A student reported the theft of her silver Specialized mountain bicycle from the bicycle racks by Mudd library. A cable was placed around the bicycle, but it was not secured to the bicycle rack.

Saturday, March 30

7 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at a kitchen in Barrows Hall. Smoke from burnt food activated the alarm. The area was cleared and the alarm reset.

Sunday, March 31

8:40 p.m. An officer in Allencroft House observed ants in an apartment and on the carpeting throughout the first-floor lobby. The officer filed a work order.

10:51 p.m. A third-floor resident of Barrows Hall reported a black liquid substance leaking from the ceiling and dripping down the wall. Facilities was contacted and a work order was filed.

Monday, April 1

2:26 a.m. A member of the custodial staff reported benches piled up in front of the east doors of King building. Several students working in the labs and lounges knew nothing about the incident. A work order was filed to have the benches removed.

7:53 a.m. A member of the grounds staff reported vandalism to the bandstand in Tappan Square. A four-foot section of the rail was detached, and two spindles were missing. A work order was filed for repair.

12:01 p.m. An officer was requested to assist an ill student in Barrows Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

6:30 p.m. A student reported the theft of his wallet and cell phone from outside the racquetball courts at Philips Gym. The wallet is a brown leather tri-fold and contained a credit card, debit card and approximately $18. The cell phone is a black Verizon iPhone 4. The credit and debit cards were canceled.

Tuesday, April 2

10:28 p.m. A student reported that two vehicles drove in circles around him while he was walking through the Conservatory parking lot. Officers responded and located the two males involved, who had no association with the College. Oberlin Police Officers also responded. The individuals admitted to the incident, but would not give a reason for their actions. They were warned and sent on their way.