Security Report: Sept. 20 – Sept. 26, 2012

Staff

Thursday, Sept. 20

2:01 a.m. Officers responded to a noise complaint at a Goldsmith apartment. Occupants were advised to turn the music down and complied.

7:55 a.m. The owner of a recovered bookbag was notified to pick it up from the Security Office. Upon taking an inventory of the bag, the student found that drawing pens (valued at $50), a laptop charger and two prescriptions were missing.

9:38 a.m. Officers responded to a report of vandalism at a Village housing unit on Lorain Street. The letter “J” was written on the ceiling of the foyer, likely using the heat of a flame. The incident is being investigated.

2:00 p.m. A staff member reported damage to his vehicle while parked in the Service Building east parking lot. The vehicle had a two–to–three–inch scratch near the driver’s side door handle.

9:24 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm in East Hall. Upon arrival, a strong odor consistent with burnt marijuana was detected. The building was checked, and the alarm was reset. Several incense burners, an ashtray and a sandwich bag containing a green leafy substance consistent with marijuana were all found in plain view and confiscated.

Friday, Sept. 21

2:35 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at an Elm Street Village housing unit. The building was checked and no cause could be found for the alarm activation. The alarm was reset.

3:08 p.m. While enroute to another call, officers observed a broken window at a Village housing unit on Elm Street. A work order was filed for clean-up and repair. The cause of the broken window remains undetermined.

11:11 p.m. A resident of Langston Hall reported the theft of his black Lenovo laptop with white markings and his roommate’s black Lenovo laptop and external hard drive from their room on the second floor. Each laptop is valued at $500. The room door was unlocked at the time of theft.

Saturday, Sept. 22

12:13 a.m. Officers were requested at Kahn Hall to assist a student who was ill from alcohol consumption. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

11:56 p.m. An officer on Woodland Street heard an alarm sounding from a nearby Village housing unit. Upon further investigation, a large amount of smoke was observed coming from the kitchen. No one was home, and three stove burners had been left on and a pan of oil was smoking. The burners were turned off and contact will be made with occupants of the home.

Sunday, Sept. 23

1 a.m. Officers were requested to assist a student ill from alcohol consumption at Barrows Hall. The student was able to walk on his own and answer all questions the officers asked. He declined medical treatment, but said that he would call if he changed his mind.

1:09 a.m. Officers responded to a loud music complaint at a Village house on Elmwood Place. The party was shut down and students dispersed.

1:47 a.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at South Hall. A resident had activated the alarm by cooking oil. The alarm was reset with no further problems.

1:49 a.m. Officers were requested to assist a student ill from alcohol consumption at Harkness House. The student was able to walk on his own and answer all questions officers asked. The student was escorted to his room.

11:45 p.m. An officer on patrol observed an unauthorized party on Woodland Street. The officer explained to the host proper authorization procedures, and the party was shut down.

Monday, Sept. 24

8:31 a.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on Elm Street. The cause of the alarm was steam from a shower. During the check of the apartment, an incense holder, a grinder containing a substance consistent with marijuana, a small baggie of a substance consistent with marijuana and two glass bongs were all found in plain view and confiscated.

10:35 a.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on the first floor of Keep Cottage. A painter sanding in the area activated the alarm. The detector was cleaned and the alarm reset.

12:46 p.m. An officer was requested to assist a student having an allergic reaction to food. The student was transported from Student Health to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

6:40 p.m. A student reported the loss of her ID card holder which contained her ID, debit card and several keys. The student retraced her steps, but the items were not located. The ID was canceled and her room was re-keyed.

Tuesday, Sept. 25

12:10 p.m. A student reported the theft of her Trek 850 blue and silver bicycle, value unknown, from the south side of North Hall.

6:27 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on the first floor of Fairchild House. The cause of the alarm was smoke from burned eggs. The area was cleared and the alarm was reset.

Wednesday, Sept. 26

12:17 a.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at a Village housing unit on Elm Street. The cause of the alarm was dust from a discharged fire extinguisher, and staff members were contacted to clean it up.

1:29 a.m. Officers responded to a noise complaint on the sixth floor of Firelands. Visitors were asked to leave.

3:02 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at the Apollo Theatre. The area was checked and no cause for the alarm could be found.

8:00 p.m. A student reported the theft of her blue Columbia Sport bicycle of unknown value, with a black seat and missing back fender, from the northeast side of the Conservatory. The combination lock was left at the scene and appeared to have been picked.