Security Report: Sept. 27 – Oct. 3, 2012

Staff

Thursday, Sept. 27

4:22 a.m. An officer on patrol observed a light out on a light pole near East Hall. A work order was filed.

Friday, Sept. 28

1:44 a.m. Officers were requested to assist a student who was ill from alcohol consumption at Tank Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital by ambulance.

7:31 a.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at a Union Street apartment that was caused by smoke from hot grease. The apartment was cleared of smoke, and the alarm was reset.

2 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Langston Hall. A staff member cleaning a detector had activated the alarm. The alarm was reset.

7:57 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Harkness House. Dust from a vacuum cleaner had activated the alarm. The alarm was reset.

9:07 p.m. An officer responded to a report of an individual in the pond outside the Conservatory. An art student doing a study of the pond wanted to find out how deep it was. The student was advised that no one is permitted in the pond.

11:22 p.m. Officers responded to a noise complaint on the second floor of East Hall. Residents having a small party were told that guests would have to leave. The music was turned down and they were warned about underage drinking.

Saturday, Sept. 29

12:46 a.m. A student reported a large party at a Village housing unit on North Pleasant Street. Hosts were advised that the party was not authorized, and the crowd was dispersed.

11:35 p.m. Officers responded to a report of a student injured in a bicycle accident in front of Dascomb. While shifting gears, the student’s foot got stuck, causing the fall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment of an arm injury.

5:05 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Baldwin Cottage. The cause was smoke from cooking chicken. The smoke was cleared and the alarm reset.

11:45 p.m. An officer on patrol near the Goldsmith apartments observed a group of students carrying cartons and bottles of beer into an apartment. The party, found to be unauthorized, was closed down.

11:58 p.m. Officers were requested to assist a student who was ill from alcohol consumption at a Village housing unit on Elmwood Place. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

Sunday, Sept. 30

12:45 a.m. Officers were requested to assist an intoxicated student leaving a party on East Lorain Street. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

6:54 p.m. A student reported the theft of his black Trek bicycle from the bike rack at Price Hall. The bicycle was locked at the time of theft.

Monday, Oct. 1

2:15 a.m. A student reported receiving unwanted text messages from an unknown phone number. The Oberlin Police Department also responded, and the incident is currently under investigation.

11:13 a.m. A resident of Burton Hall reported the theft of her blue bicycle with a basket on front and pouch on back of seat from the southeast bike rack. The bicycle was unlocked at the time of theft.

12:24 p.m. Officers responded to a report of the odor of marijuana on the first floor of East Hall. Two occupants of a room were approached, and they admitted to smoking marijuana in the room. Both were advised of the smoking policies of the campus.

1:02 p.m. Officers responded to assist a student who was injured in a bicycle accident near South Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment of a right elbow injury.

1:02 p.m. An officer informed a student sitting on the roof of Harkness House that being on the rooftop was prohibited. Screens were placed back in the windows.

3:30 p.m. Officers responded to assist an ill student on the first floor of Peters Hall. The student was transported to Student Health for treatment.

11:38 p.m. Custodial staff reported a suspicious person after hours in the computer store at Mudd Library. Officers responded and the individual was identified as a student employee. The student was asked to leave.

Tuesday, Oct. 2

3:10 a.m. Officers were requested to assist a student who was having trouble breathing on the second floor of Kahn Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

5:15 p.m. A student reported that her red Schwinn bicycle with tall handlebars had been stolen approximately two weeks ago. The bicycle was left unlocked somewhere near East Hall.

10:16 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at the Apollo Theatre. No smoke or fire was located. Facilities staff and the alarm company were contacted to repair the alarm.

Wednesday, Oct. 3

12:02 a.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on the first floor of Lord/Saunders House. Bread baking in the oven created smoke, which activated the alarm. The area was cleared and the alarm reset.