Winter Preview: Women’s Basketball

Sophomore Christina Marquette earned the title of Conference Newcomer of the Year last season. Marquette can be expected to help lead the Yeowomen’s attack this year.

Molly Bloom, Staff Writer

Under the skill and leadership of seniors and second-time captains Allison Anderson and Ellen Neumann, as well as the talent of dominant sophomore forward Christina Marquette, the Oberlin women’s basketball team is poised for a strong performance in its upcoming season.

Working alongside fifth-year Head Coach Kerry Jenkins, first-year Assistant Coach Jasmine Mushington, a 2012 graduate of the University of Akron, will provide the Yeowomen with new perspectives and philosophies on the court.

“I played for a competitive team that harped on the fundamentals of basketball,” said Mushington. “I bring a competitive attitude with the theory of working hard and can use that to help the players at Oberlin.”

In recent years, the Yeowomen have struggled with numbers, but this year recruiting efforts paid off, and four first-years joined the team.

“They are all talented in their own way and can all contribute to the team. They all bring something positive and are helping the team get better,” said Anderson.

Anderson, a two-time All-Conference selection, is expected to pick up where she left off after an injury kept her from all but two games last season. A smart and athletic guard, Anderson is the school’s single season record holder in assists, and she has historically averaged more minutes than any other player on the team.

“She is a leader on and off the court, both [because she is] a vocal leader and due to the skill she possesses,” said Mushington of Anderson.

Neumann will also provide the Yeowomen with leadership and experience. In her second season serving as captain, Neumann will continue her strong defensive play and hard-working mentality.

“As always, Ellen will hold down the paint for us on defense,” said Anderson.

Also expected to contribute defensively are juniors Malisa Hoak and Lillian Jahan. Hoak led the Conference in assists last season, and Jahan, a two-sport athlete, has been a solid defender for the Yeowomen.

“I think Malisa Hoak and Lillian Jahan will bring an edge at the guard defensive spots because they are both quick and aggressive,” Anderson said.

Another player to watch is Marquette, who has already posted an impressive resume after just one season with the Yeowomen. She was second in the conference in free-throw percentage with an impressive .856 and received the honors of Great Lakes Region Newcomer of the Year and North Coast Athletic Conference Newcomer of the Year. Last year, Marquette was also voted by her peers as Oberlin’s Female First-Year Athlete of the Year.

Junior Allison Gannon will be expected to contribute significantly after her success in the 2011–2012 season. Gannon led the team in both shooting percentage from the paint and offensive rebounds. The 5’10” forward will be looked to as an offensive leader on this young team.

Overall, the Yeowomen are hoping to improve last year’s performance. They finished with a record of 6–20, with only three of those wins over Conference opponents. The statistics can be deceiving, however, as a number of losses came at relatively close margins.

Anderson is positive about the team’s prospects this season.

“I am expecting it to be the best season yet, and for us to be competitive in every game we play,” she said. “I also expect to set a new tone for Oberlin women’s basketball in regard to the rest of the Conference.”

The Yeowomen open Thursday, Nov. 15, at 7 p.m. on their home court against Kalamazoo College.