Security Report: Nov. 8 – Nov. 14, 2013

Staff

Thursday, Nov. 8

1:23 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Lord House. Food cooking in the kitchenette had begun to smoke, activating the alarm. The alarm was reset.

4 p.m. A student reported leaving a green lunch bag containing medication in a classroom in King Hall. She returned to the classroom approximately three hours later to find the bag missing. A search of the area was made but the bag was not found.

5 p.m. An officer on patrol located a bicycle outside of Mudd library fitting the description of one reported stolen. A message was left for the possible owner to call Security.

7 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Firelands. Smoke from burnt food had activated the alarm. The area was cleared and the alarm was reset.

10:45 p.m. Student staff reported a strong odor of burnt marijuana on the second floor of Barrows Hall. Occupants of the room in question were not home.

Friday, Nov. 9

8:01 a.m. A student reported the theft of her bicycle, locked to itself, from the west side of the Bike Co-op. The bicycle’s make and model are unknown. It is a blue men’s bike with “butterfly” handlebars. Its approximate value is $5.

12:43 p.m. A Goldsmith apartment resident reported that a suspicious person removed a screen and climbed through the window at a Union Street apartment. Officers and members of the Oberlin Police Department responded. The individual was located and found to be a resident who misplaced his key.

Saturday, Nov. 10

3:06 a.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Goldsmith apartments. Smoking in the apartment had activated the detector. The alarm was reset.

3:36 a.m. A student reported graffiti outside of Bibbins Hall. Similar graffiti was also observed outside Warner Concert Hall, South Hall and Fairchild House. Several bicycles in the bike rack at South Hall had also been sprayed.

9:30 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at a Union Street apartment. The cause was found to be smoke from burnt food. The area was cleared and the alarm was reset.

11:12 p.m. Oberlin Inn staff requested assistance with a large disorderly group in the restaurant. Ceiling tiles and a light cover in the restroom had been broken. Two individuals were identified and left the Inn.

Sunday, Nov. 11

12:53 a.m. An officer observed a large party of approximately 150 people at a Village house on Woodland Street. The party was authorized for 30 guests. The party was closed down and attendees were cleared from the house.

1:18 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to an activated fire alarm on the second floor of Philips Gymnasium. A toddler playing in the area accidentally activated the alarm.

3:07 p.m. A student reported the theft of her blue purse from an unlocked cabinet in the weight room of Philips Gymnasium. The purse contained a Samsung slide phone, an ID card, an Oberlin water bottle and a gray soccer sweatshirt. The ID was canceled.

Monday, Nov. 12

9:10 a.m. Staff reported vandalism to the ceiling tiles in the game room on the first floor of Kahn Hall. A work order was filed for repair, and the situation is currently under investigation.

10:10 p.m. Officers were requested to assist with a carbon monoxide detector sounding at a Village house on Lorain Street. Members of the Oberlin Fire Department also responded to check the house. The batteries were replaced and the detector was reset.

Wednesday, Nov. 14

12:04 a.m. Officers responded to a smoke alarm at Tank Hall. An odor of burnt marijuana was detected near a room on the third floor. The occupant of the room was identified and admitted to smoking marijuana. The detector and base were changed, and the alarm was reset.