In the Locker Room: The Gipsy Kings

John Critterden

What inspired your team name?

Alen Cisija: It was inspired by a Spanish band name for absolutely no reason. Nobody knows the actual team name, though. We’re usually known as The Oberlin Miami Heat.

What’s your favorite thing about basketball?

Gien-Anson Chiu: The camaraderie between teammates. Most of the people I played with growing up in the Philippines are still close friends, and we still have fun whenever we get together.

Did you play any other sports growing up?

James Kuntz: I played basketball, lacrosse, football and baseball growing up. I only played lacrosse and basketball in high school, though, and basketball was always my favorite sport.

Ryan Glover: I ran track in addition to playing basketball in high school. I played baseball my freshman year of high school, too. I was also on swimming, football, tennis and soccer teams growing up, but not in high school.

Do you have a favorite basketball memory?

Marcus Johnson: Scoring 26 points against Kenyon on the Oberlin basketball team.

What would you say is a defining characteristic of your team?

Michael Murray: Size. We’re a lot bigger than the other teams.

RG: Aren’t you the smallest?

MM: I was talking about the team as a whole. I guess one strength is that a lot of us played basketball and other sports here, and we play really hard.

AC: The swagger.

Who was your favorite basketball player growing up and why?

JK: My favorite basketball player growing up was Baron Davis. I really liked the way he played and how he encapsulated the idea of a husky, bruising point guard with great handles — much in the same way Deron Williams, Ray Felton, Chauncey Billups and Tim Hardaway play/played. But what separated Baron for me was his incredible dunking ability; his one-handed, cocked–back finish over Andrei Kirilenko in the 2007 Warriors–Jazz playoff series will always stick out in my mind.

Jonathan Nelson: Kevin Garnett — I’m from Minnesota.

What other interests do you have outside of basketball?

John Nelson: I like playing videogames, and I’m an astrophysics major, so I enjoy working on that.

Joe Dilworth: My interests outside of basketball include tutoring, film and tickling feet.

If you could be anyone for a day, who would it be?

JD: Bill Clinton.

If you had to choose a current NBA player to build a team around, who would it be?

AC: Kevin Durant. He’s just a pure scorer and has a great attitude overall.

Why did you choose to come to Oberlin?

JK: I came to Oberlin because I thought the school was the perfect size and offered a diverse liberal arts college education and experience. I had no idea what I wanted to major in or focus my studies on coming out of high school, and I saw attending Oberlin as a good solution to that problem.

MJ: I was recruited for basketball and heard great things about the Oberlin music scene. I really enjoyed my visit and decided to come here.

Who gets the last shot?

Joe Graybeal: Probably Marcus.