Security Report: March 3 – March 15, 2011

Staff

Thursday, March 3

9:50 a.m. A staff member reported the loss of his laptop computer from the first floor of Wilder Hall. The laptop is a Mac and was in a black canvas bag. A search of the area provided no results. Investigation continues.

9:13 a.m. Officers were requested to assist a student who struck her head while attempting a backward roll at Warner Center. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

11:48 a.m. Residential Life staff confiscated a BB gun from off-campus housing during a Life Safety inspection. Officers took the BB gun to the Safety and Security Office for safekeeping.

1:38 p.m. Officers were requested to assist an injured student at Wilder Hall. The student had struck her head on a hanging lamp while cleaning off a table. No medical treatment beyond basic first aid was requested at the time.

Friday, March 4

4:27 p.m. An officer was requested at Barrows Hall to observe vandalism in the second-floor kitchen. There was a large hole just inside the door on the south wall. A photograph was taken and a work order filed for repair.

7:36 p.m. A student reported a motor vehicle accident in front of South Hall. The first vehicle was entering Elm Street off the west drive of the Lewis Annex and struck the front driver’s side fender of the second vehicle. There were no injuries, and parties exchanged information. Oberlin Police also responded.

Saturday, March 5

12:51 a.m. Officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm in the basement of Wilder Hall. An activated pull station was located near the northeast entrance. The building was checked and found to be clear. Officers determined that the pull station had been activated intentionally and without cause.

2:17 a.m. Officers reported two suspicious males in the loading dock area of Mudd Library. Oberlin Police officers responded to assist. The individuals claimed that they were sitting in the chairs smoking. The juvenile was taken into custody by Oberlin Police for curfew violation.

4:01 p.m. A student reported the theft of her backpack from the ’Sco in Wilder Hall sometime between midnight and 1 a.m. The backpack is black with a leather bottom and contained a library book, a notebook and mail.

Sunday, March 6

12:39 a.m. Officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on the third floor of Talcott Hall. There was an odor of burnt marijuana throughout the hallway and was determined to be the cause of the alarm. The alarm was reset with no further problems.

Monday, March 7

12:30 p.m. A staff member at Philips Gym reported the theft of tennis shoes from a second-floor room next to Carr Pool. The shoes were Nike trainers, white with black trim and valued at $90.

11:54 p.m. An officer was requested to assist with a student who injured her toe at Price Hall. The student said that she was opening a door and it cut her toe. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

Wednesday, March 9

2:23 a.m. Officers were requested to assist with a visitor ill from alcohol consumption at Fairchild Hall. The female was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

Thursday, March 10

1:25 p.m. An alumnus reported the theft of his iPod Touch from the locker room at Philips Gym. The iPod was placed in a jacket pocket and hung in the locker room. It is valued at $200.

2:15 p.m. Officers observed vandalism to the fence on the north side of the parking lot behind the Lewis Center. The fencing had a large hole in it, and several boards were found lying on the ground. A work order was filed for repair.

2:24 p.m. Officers were requested to assist a student who fainted at Mudd Library. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

8:45 p.m. A student reported the theft of her wallet from her unlocked room earlier in the day. The wallet was recovered in one of the restrooms but was missing $45 in cash.

Saturday, March 12

3:26 a.m. An officer on building rounds noticed that someone had kicked in the wooden door panels to the south interior doors at Langston Hall. A work order was filed for repair.

4:19 a.m. Officers were requested to assist a student ill from alcohol consumption at Langston Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

4:49 a.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on the second floor of Langston Hall. The cause was burnt popcorn, and the alarm was reset.

10:15 a.m. A student reported that someone threw an unknown object at her room window during the night and broke it. The window had been boarded up prior to the arrival of the officers.

2:42 p.m. Officers responded to a call from Hales Gym to assist with an injured male. The male said that he tripped on a piece of concrete and struck his hand on a metal handle. The male was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

8:44 p.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Dascomb Hall. No cause for the alarm was located, and the alarm was reset.

9:53 p.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Langston Hall. The cause was found to be burnt food in the microwave and the alarm was reset.

11:04 p.m. An officer on patrol observed an emergency light damaged in the first floor hallway of Zechiel Hall. A work order was filed for repair.

Sunday, March 13

12:44 a.m. Officers responded to a noise complaint and an unauthorized party on West College Street. Approximately 100 students were in attendance. The party was closed down, and all students left the area. An intoxicated student was located on the side of the house and transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

4:19 a.m. Officers were requested to assist a student ill from alcohol consumption at Barrows Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Medical Center for treatment.

12:52 p.m. A student reported the theft of her cell phone from the Allen Memorial Art Building while she was working on a project. The phone is a Samsung Mythic, black and maroon in color and valued at $60.

9:20 p.m. Officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Dascomb Hall. The cause was burnt popcorn on the second floor and the alarm was reset.

Monday, March 14

9:29 p.m. A resident of Barrows Hall reported unknown person(s) smoking on the second floor of Barrows. A strong odor consistent with burnt marijuana was detected. Occupants of the room in question were contacted and admitted to smoking in the room. A smoke detector in plain view was found covered with a plastic bag and was uncovered by officers. Occupants were advised of College policy on smoking in residence halls.

Tuesday, March 15

2:39 a.m. Officers responded to a report of a broken window on the second floor of Kahn Hall. A large picture window in the middle of the common area was found to be broken, and a hard yellow ball was located on the floor in front of the window. No one claimed responsibility. A work order was placed for clean up of glass and repairs.