Security Report: March 17 – March 23, 2011

Staff

Thursday, March 17

10:30 a.m. Custodial staff reported a burning odor in Langston Hall. Officers found a student burning incense on the second floor. The incense and holder were confiscated and the student was advised of College incense policies.

11:25 a.m. A student reported the theft of a sweatshirt and laptop from a locked practice room in the Kohl Building. The laptop is an Apple MacBook Pro, valued at $1,400. The theft is under investigation.

12:30 p.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on the third floor of Barrows Hall. The entire area was checked and no cause could be found for the alarm. The system was reset with no further problems.

8:33 p.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department responded to an activated fire alarm on the third floor of Barrows Hall. The alarm had been activated by a student’s smoking. The detector was changed and the alarm was reset.

11:58 p.m. A resident of Noah Hall reported a strong odor of marijuana on the third floor. The occupant of the room in question was contacted and admitted to burning incense. The incense was confiscated, along with a glass pipe which contained a residue consistent with burnt marijuana. The items were turned over to the Oberlin Police for disposal.

Friday, March 18

1:18 a.m. Officers were requested to assist with an intoxicated individual on the third floor of Burton Hall. The individual, who was later identified as a non-student visitor, was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

9:47 p.m. A student reported the theft of a Banshee Amplified Talk Box and microphone. The items were left unattended in the lounge of Max Kade German House. Value of the missing amplifier is $180.

11:00 p.m. Officers were requested at Dascomb Hall to assist in ending an unauthorized party. The party was closed down, alcohol was confiscated and disposed of, and a small amount of marijuana was turned over to the Oberlin Police.

Saturday, March 19

12:46 p.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Baldwin Cottage. Buildup of spilled food on the stove burner created smoke, activating the alarm. A work order was placed for clean-up of the stove and the alarm was reset.

4:27 p.m. A student reported the theft of his unlocked bicycle from the west entrance of the Conservatory. The bicycle is a Kensington Free Spirit, green in color, valued at approximately $100.

6:53 p.m. A student reported the theft of her iPod from the kitchens of Harkness House. The iPod is a Third-Generation Nano, black in color, valued at $200.

10:13 p.m. Officers were requested at Dascomb Hall to assist in closing down an unauthorized party. Attendees were asked to leave and a partially consumed bottle of alcohol was confiscated and disposed of.

Sunday, March 20

3:22 a.m. An officer on patrol observed two male individuals throwing bicycles into dumpsters in the area around West Lorain Street and Asia House. Additional officers responded and a check of the area was made for the individuals with negative results. Damage was observed to light poles and two compost trashcans. Bicycles were placed back in the bike racks.

11:45 a.m. A student reported the loss/theft of her laptop from the third floor of Mudd Library. The laptop was left in Mudd at midnight and when the owner returned at approximately 9:30 a.m., the laptop was missing. Laptop is a MacBook Air, silver in color, of unknown value.

1:01 p.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on the second floor of Fairchild Hall. The cause of the alarm was smoke/steam from cooking in the kitchenette. The alarm was silenced and reset.

5:29 p.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at the kitchen of Tank Hall. The cause of the alarm was smoke from burnt bread. The alarm was reset with no further problems.

Monday, March 21

11:45 a.m. A staff member reported the theft of his bicycle from the front of Peters Hall sometime between March 18 and March 21. The bicycle is a men’s Murray, 1 speed, red in color.

5:07 p.m. A student reported the theft of her wallet from a practice room in Robertson Hall. The wallet, light brown in color, contained a driver’s license, credit cards and approximately $20 cash, and was left unattended for a short period of time. At approximately 6:00 p.m. the wallet was recovered and returned to the owner. Cash was missing.

7:21 p.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on the second floor of South Hall. The cause of the alarm was smoke from cooking oil in a pan. The alarm was silenced and reset.