Glad We Had This Talk

Julia Chauvin, Columnist

So what if you’re too busy to be properly in a relationship? What if you just don’t have the time to do proper relationship things, like spend time together? It’s getting to the end of the semester; clearly, this is the time to do work if you haven’t done any all year, and that means you are stressed and busy.

For God’s sake, there are only two weeks left in the semester! What are you supposed to do? Are you supposed to do all of your work and be in a productive, healthy relationship at the same time?

I think that the best part about this question is that my answer is, “Hell if I know!” I know the answer if you are someone who is on top of your work. Then you wouldn’t have to write a 25-page paper in a week, and you would have time to spend with your significant other. I know the answer if, suddenly, because it’s the end of the semester, you are able to go without sleeping at all. That would free up some time. I know the answer if you are not that attached to your relationship. Just break up. It’s easy. It saves time and effort to simply not be in a relationship at all. I know the answer if you don’t mind ignoring your significant other. And if he or she doesn’t mind you ignoring them.

But, honestly, I really don’t know the answer if you are a normal person who does normal things (like procrastinate). I don’t know how you are supposed to cater your life to someone else’s too. I don’t know how to do that properly. I just don’t. If you do, go ahead and let me know, but besides a huge change in character or personality, I can’t really give an adequate answer.

And, let’s not get me wrong here, I know how to do a lot of things in this situation. Just none of them are the right one. I know how to drink seven cups of coffee a day from now until finals. I am an expert at spending productive and horribly unproductive time in the library. I am almost a professional at library time. As soon as I graduate, I expect that they will pay me a full salary with benefits to stay in the library, just because they’ll miss me when I’m gone.

Which brings us to a whole other stress-building situation: graduation. But that’s all I’m going to say about it. I am sure I’ll get to ranting about it soon enough. And the longer I wait, the closer it gets, and the more emphatic I will become. So, just hold your horses. That subject will come soon enough.

For now, we will still discuss the inability to remain normal come finals time. I just don’t know how it’s done. I don’t. I am very aware that if one had prepared for this inevitable conclusion of the semes- ter — that one was warned about at the beginning of the year — this would not be a problem. But since one is particularly foolhardy, fun-loving and lacking in motivation, this end time is a bit harder to handle. And it is almost impossible for me to understand how one could balance work and a relationship now, if one didn’t do it in the past.

But maybe that’s just me. Maybe I’m the only one. Maybe everyone else can do this. Maybe no one else does this to themselves. But whatever it is, I’m glad we could have this talk that was used for procrastination.