Off the Cuff: Hannah S-P and Lonnie Bass, Slow Train baristas

Kate Gill, News editor
May 9, 2014
Filed under NEWS, Off the Cuff, Recent Stories

College senior Lonnie Bass and Hannah Scharlin-Pettee OC ’13 are baristas at the Slow Train Café. Bass has been a barista for two years, while Scharlin-Peettee began brewing this past fall. Bass and S-P sat down with the Review to discuss coffee, the Vengaboys and their strangest moments on the... Read more »

Off the Cuff: Frank Schaefer, former United Methodist pastor and LGBTQ advocate

Kate Gill , News editor
May 2, 2014
Filed under NEWS, Off the Cuff

Frank Schaefer is a former United Methodist pastor from Lebanon, PA. After performing the marriage ceremony for his gay son in 2006, Schaefer was stripped of his credentials and excommunicated from his congregation. Schaefer has since become an ally and advocate for LGBTQ... Read more »

Off The Cuff: Emily Troiano, senior director in the Information Center at Catalyst

Kate Gill , News editor
April 19, 2014
Filed under NEWS, Off the Cuff

Emily Troiano is a senior director at the Catalyst Information Center, a nonprofit organization based in New York. Her research explores the role of women in the workforce, and she authored an online tool, “First Step: Women in the World”. On Tuesday, she gave a talk titled “Women at Work:... Read more »

Off the Cuff with Cody Wilson, developer of firearm printing software

Kate Gill, News Editor
November 22, 2013
Filed under NEWS, Off the Cuff

Cody Wilson is a law student, activist, innovator and self-proclaimed crypto-anarchist. He founded Defense Distributed, a nonprofit that publishes open-source gun designs for 3-D printers. Named by Wired as one of the 15 most dangerous men in the world, Wilson sat down with the Review and... Read more »

Solarity’s Next Generation Sheds Rave Image

Kate Gill, News Editor
November 22, 2013
Filed under Campus News, Features, NEWS, Recent Stories

Solarity may be a nascent organization, but its reputation has grown considerably since Neon Garden, the inaugural event in 2011. And so too has its controversy on campus. Throughout its operation, Solarity has been dubbed “polarizing,” a trait that students can identify, but not necessarily explain. “It’s... Read more »

Oberlin Admissions Refuses to Trail Online Footprint of Applicants

Kate Gill, News Editor
November 15, 2013
Filed under Features, NEWS

Several years ago, College admissions officer Tom Abeyta repurposed his Facebook. He resolved to make the page private, denying all friend requests from both prospective and current students at Oberlin.   “Students began to friend me,” he explained, “and I started... Read more »

Off the Cuff with Ben Wittes, OC ’90, author and political journalist

Kate Gill, News Editor
November 1, 2013
Filed under NEWS, Off the Cuff

Ben Wittes, OC ’90, has written for The Legal Times, The Washington Post editorial page, The New Republic, Slate, The Atlantic, The Wilson Quarterly, the Weekly Standard, Policy Review, and First Things. He has published many books about policy... Read more »

Off the Cuff: Kelly Brown Douglas, priest and “womanist” scholar

Kate Gill, News Editor
October 11, 2013
Filed under NEWS, Off the Cuff

Kelly Brown Douglas is a priest and a professor of religion at Goucher College.  She specializes in womanist theology and the black church. She spoke with the Review about her faith, Alice Walker, and communities of support.  How did you first become acquainted with theology, sexuality... Read more »

Economists Debate Policy, Put Aside Partisanship

Rosemary Boeglin and Kate Gill
October 11, 2013
Filed under Campus News, NEWS

Before economists Arthur Laffer and Jared Bernstein began to debate on Tuesday evening, they amicably shook hands. Laffer and Bernstein, who share a long friendship, sat atop a small stage in West Lecture Hall and engaged students, faculty and community members in a dialogue about economic policy. After... Read more »

Toni Morrison Society Celebrates 25th Anniversary

Kate Gill, News Editor
September 27, 2013
Filed under Campus News, NEWS

A standing ovation ushered novelist Toni Morrison onstage as students, faculty and community members awaited the convocation in Finney Chapel last Friday evening. The Toni Morrison Society, which just celebrated its 20th anniversary, was largely responsible for the event, but Morrison’s visit also... Read more »

Divestment passes in Senate

Kate Gill
May 10, 2013
Filed under Campus News, NEWS

Student Senate passed a resolution on Sunday, May 6, urging the College to divest from companies that support the Israeli occupation of Palestine, financially and otherwise. This resolution, penned by Students for a Free Palestine and amended by the Senate, underwent five rounds of voting, which spanned... Read more »