NBA Delivers in Clutch

Nate Levinson, Sports Editor
May 9, 2014
Filed under Editorials & Features, SPORTS

If the first round of the NBA playoffs was any indication, basketball fans everywhere are in for a real treat. In what was the best first playoff round I’ve ever watched in the NBA or otherwise, five different series went to seven games, while a sixth ended on a buzzer beater in Game 6 by one of... Read more »

Sterling Is Out of Control

Nate Levinson, Sports Editor
May 2, 2014
Filed under Uncategorized

By now, you’ve probably heard about Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling’s racist comments to his Black girlfriend, caught on tape by TMZ and reported last Friday. For those who haven’t heard, the Clippers’ owner of 33 years told his girlfriend he didn’t want her to associate with... Read more »

In The Locker Room with Michelle Polyak, Dylan Cohen and Maisy Byerly

Nate Levinson, Sports Editor
April 25, 2014
Filed under In the Locker Room, SPORTS

This week the Review sat down with intramural softball captains, senior Michelle Polyak of the Senior Shockers and juniors Dylan Cohen of the Skinflutes and Maisy Byerly of the Designated $hitters to discuss their team names, how much they value intramural softball and why more people should... Read more »

QB or NOT QB

Nate Levinson, Sports Editor
April 18, 2014

The quarterback position is the most important in all of sports. A great quarterback has the ability to take an otherwise mediocre team and transform it into something great, a feat not so easily managed by any other position, regardless of the sport. But getting a great quarterback isn’t easy,... Read more »

In The Locker Room with Erin Johnson, Brenna Sheldon and Grace Porter

Nate Levinson, Sports Editor
April 11, 2014
Filed under Recent Stories, SPORTS, Tennis, Varsity Spring

This week the Review sat down with women’s tennis players senior Brenna Sheldon, junior Grace Porter and sophomore Erin Johnson to discuss their recent spring break trip, past seasons’ success and what drew them to Oberlin. What are your thoughts on the season thus far? Brenna... Read more »

Intra-Campus Discussions More Effective Face-to-Face than on Facebook

Nate Levinson, Sports Editor
April 5, 2014
Filed under Commentary, OPINIONS

Part of what makes Oberlin a great place is that people are so willing to engage in dialogue about serious issues, but the forum this discussion takes place in has the power to detract from the opinions being expressed. Most dialogue that take place in person is constructive, but as students have taken... Read more »

Durant Challenges the King

Nate Levinson, Sports Editor
April 4, 2014
Filed under Editorials & Features, Recent Stories, SPORTS

For the majority of the last decade, LeBron James has unquestionably been the best player in the NBA (apologies to Kobe Bryant). His all-around play and ability to make his teammates better were unrivaled, but this season LeBron’s seat atop the basketball hierarchy has been called into question. Well... Read more »

In the Locker Room With Jeff Schweighoffer, Danny Baldocchi and Mitch Novak

Nate Levinson, Sports Editor
March 14, 2014
Filed under In the Locker Room, SPORTS

This week the Review sat down with junior baseball players Danny Baldocchi, Mitch Novak and Jeff Schweighoffer to discuss how the poor Ohio weather has affected the team’s preparation, their favor­ite Oberlin sports teams and their World Series picks. What are some of... Read more »

Time to Focus On the Talent

Nate Levinson, Sports Editor
March 7, 2014

Every year in the months leading up to the NFL draft, scouts, general managers and entire personnel departments of all 32 NFL teams spend countless hours poring over the résumés of hundreds of young 20-somethings fresh out of college. Unsurprisingly, many of these players don't have entirely clean... Read more »

In the Locker Room with Phoebe Hammer and Simone Brodner

Nate Levinson, Sports Editor
February 28, 2014
Filed under In the Locker Room, Lacrosse, Recent Stories, SPORTS, Uncategorized, Varsity Spring

This week the Review sat down with senior women’s lacrosse captains Phoebe Hammer and Simone Brodner to discuss how the team has changed over the years, what it’s like being seniors and how they feel about Kenyon College’s mascot. What are your expectations for this season? SB:... Read more »

Goodbye Derek Jeter

Nate Levinson, Sports Editor
February 21, 2014

On Feb. 12, Derek Jeter announced that the upcoming season will be his last in the MLB. For over three-quarters of my life, Derek has manned the shortstop position for the New York Yankees. There, he has made one clutch play after another, run out every routine groundball to second... Read more »

In the Locker Room With Matthew Walker and Randy Ollie

Nate Levinson, Sports Editor
February 14, 2014
Filed under Basketball, In the Locker Room, SPORTS

This week the Review sat down with sophomore men’s basketball players Matthew Walker and Randy Ollie to discuss the challenges of playing on the road, the first time they dunked and the  NBA players they try to emulate. How has the season gone thus far? Matthew Walker:... Read more »

Time to Give Sherman a Break

Nate Levinson, Sports Editor
February 7, 2014

Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman is one of the best players in the NFL. A Stanford graduate, he now plays for a Super Bowl-winning team and runs a successful charity that provides children with clothing and school supplies. Yet all it took for the loud, proud... Read more »

Cano Chases Money All the Way to Seattle

Nate Levinson, Sports Editor
December 13, 2013

Last week, Robinson Cano left the Yankees to sign a 10-year, $240 million contract with the Seattle Mariners. The Yankees had offered a measly seven-year, $175 million contract. That $65 million difference in guaranteed money was enough for Cano to leave the 27-time world... Read more »

“True Obie” Gets Sacked

“True Obie” Gets Sacked

Nate Levinson and Rose Stoloff
December 13, 2013
Filed under Football, SPORTS, Varsity Fall

Long time Oberlin Head Football Coach Jeff Ramsey’s dismissal last Friday, just weeks after finishing his 15th year with the College, was shrouded in mystery. His departure came as a surprise to many who had grown to love and respect Ramsey during his long tenure. The football team... Read more »

In the Locker Room with Jack Redell and Luke Harrison

Nate Levinson, Sports Editor
December 6, 2013
Filed under In the Locker Room, SPORTS, Swimming and Diving, Varsity Winter

How is your season going so far? Jack Redell: It’s a lot of fun. It’s a very enjoyable team to be on. We’re also doing very well in our meets. The guys’ team is 3–1 and the women’s team is 4–0, undefeated. That’s pretty great. I think we’re a real scrappy team. Luke... Read more »

Time for Change in Pro Locker Rooms

Nate Levinson
November 22, 2013

Miami Dolphins offensive guard Richie Incognito and Los Angeles Clippers guard-forward Matt Barnes showed this month that the NFL and NBA have a huge problem on their hands. On Nov. 2, it was reported that Incognito bullied teammate and fellow offensive lineman Jonathan Martin over the course of... Read more »

Men’s Soccer Streaks to Playoffs

Men’s Soccer Streaks to Playoffs

Nate Levinson, Sports Editor
November 15, 2013
Filed under Recent Stories, Soccer, SPORTS, Varsity Fall

After a hard-fought defeat against the Kenyon College Lords last week, the men’s soccer team thought its near perfect season was over. But news came on Monday that the team had received an at-large bid for a spot in the NCAA tournament, and its storybook season was resurrected. “I had a gut feeling... Read more »

In the Locker Room with Tom Reid

In the Locker Room with Tom Reid

Nate Levinson, Sports Editor
November 8, 2013
Filed under Club & Intramural Sports, In the Locker Room, Recent Stories, SPORTS

This week the Review sat down with Bowling I and II teacher, Tom Reid, to discuss Reid’s long tenure at Oberlin, how he started bowling and what you need to do to take his class next semester. When did you start bowling? Tom Reid: I started bowling fall of 1973.... Read more »

Swimming and Diving Team Makes Splash with Weekend Wins

Nate Levinson, Sports Editor
November 8, 2013
Filed under Recent Stories, SPORTS, Swimming and Diving, Varsity Winter

The swimming and diving team began its season impressively this past weekend with wins over the Hiram College Terriers and The College of Wooster Fighting Scots in the Greater Cleveland Swimming and Diving Tournament. The team defeated the Terriers handily on Friday by a score of 347–106 and eked... Read more »

Fantasy Football Taken Too Seriously

Nate Levinson, Sports Editor
November 1, 2013

Since its online inception in 1997, fantasy football has changed the way many fans watch NFL games. The virtual game has given meaning to games where there was none before. Fantasy football team owners can watch games of players they own in cyberspace with keen interest, even if the game is a blowout... Read more »

In the Locker Room with Jodi Helsel and Claire Yeske

Nate Levinson, Sports Editor
October 11, 2013
Filed under Field Hockey, In the Locker Room, SPORTS, Varsity Fall

What are your thoughts on the season so far? Claire Yeske: It’s going really well so far. We’ve made significant progress, both [from] last season to this season and also from the beginning of the season to this point. Our record doesn’t necessarily reflect the strides that we’ve... Read more »

Preying Manti Set Out on the Road to Nationals

Nate Levinson, Sports Editor
October 4, 2013
Filed under Club & Intramural Sports, SPORTS

The Oberlin Preying Manti placed second in the Wootown Throwdown tournament in Wooster, Ohio last weekend. The team won all four of their games on the first day of play and one out of their final three on the second, including a win against The College of Wooster in pool play. The team defeated The... Read more »

In the Locker Room With Soren Zeliger and Ian Paik

Nate Levinson, Sports Editor
September 27, 2013
Filed under In the Locker Room, SPORTS, Tennis, Varsity Fall

What do you expect from the tennis team this season? Soren Zeliger: Definitely a better finish than last year. That’s the most concrete goal that we can set. Also a better record, since our team is improved already. It’s hard to have expectations, though, since a lot of... Read more »

NFL Confronts Player Safety

Nate Levinson, Sports Editor
September 20, 2013

The NFL season started back up a few weeks ago, which means it’s time to return to a controversial topic that hovers over the league every year: concussions. For many years, the NFL was lax in dealing with the issue of concussions, but the league has done a better job in recent years. The NFL... Read more »

In the Locker Room with Andrew Follmann and Matthew Kendrick

Nate Levinson, Sports Editor
September 13, 2013

You are starting this season in a new league.  What opportunities do you think that will bring? Matt Kendrick: Starting [in] this new league [the Small Universities League of Ohio], I feel like we have a good chance to get into the playoffs. We also have a ton of first-years.... Read more »

Varsity, Club Sports Offer Athletes Varying Degrees of Commitment, Coaching

Nate Levinson, Sports Editor
September 13, 2013

Fall varsity sports have been back in action for several weeks now, and with the return of students last week, club sports are starting back up, too. Varsity sports — cross country, soccer, volleyball and field hockey — have all played their first game of the season after arriving on campus early... Read more »

Pay Time for Student Athletes

Nate Levinson, Sports Editor
September 6, 2013

It’s high time the NCAA puts an end to one of the most serious injustices in all of sports. A 2013 report showed that in 40 states, the highest paid public employee is the head coach of a sports team. I’m sure that statistic disgusts many of you, but in reality, all of those head coaches help... Read more »

Yeomen Poised to Come out Strong in Conference Championship

Nate Levinson, Staff Writer
April 26, 2013
Filed under SPORTS, Tennis, Varsity Spring

After a fast start to the season, the men’s tennis team has had a rough spell playing in what Head Coach Eric Ishida calls the “thicker” part of their schedule. Still, with conference play just around the corner, Ishida thinks the team’s quick 6–1 start to the year has put them in good position... Read more »

Postseason Predictions

Nate Levinson
April 12, 2013

With the NBA playoffs now less than three weeks away and with all but five playoff spots decided, teams can start resting star players and preparing for deep postseason runs. Following a dominant season that included a 27-game winning streak, the Miami Heat will once again be the favorite by most accounts,... Read more »

All Hail the King

Nate Levinson, Staff Writer
March 15, 2013

It’s rare to watch a sporting event and see something or someone historically great that no one has seen before. We watch because, as former Jets head coach Herm Edwards famously said, teams "play to win the game." But to be truly wowed by athletic feats on the field is uncommon. In recent memory, I’ve... Read more »

Yeomen Top Ohio Wesleyan 2–7

Nate Levinson
March 13, 2013

The men’s tennis team earned a strong 2–7 victory on the road against conference foe Ohio Wesleyan University last Saturday morning. The win extended Oberlin’s winning streak to three games and gave the Yeomen a great deal of confidence heading into a string of three consecutive games on their... Read more »

Underclassmen Show Promise in First Match of the Season

Nate Levinson
February 15, 2013

The men’s tennis team suffered a tough 6–3 home loss to defending Ohio Athletic Conference champion Baldwin Wallace University in its first match of the season last Saturday. After finishing with a 10–14 record last season, the Yeomen are confident they can make great strides under new Head Coach... Read more »