In the Locker Room with Assistant Football Coaches Bob Saunders and Nate Cole

Sarah Orbuch, Sports Editor
May 9, 2014
Filed under Football, In the Locker Room, SPORTS

This week, the Review sat down with first-year Assistant Football Coaches Nate Cole and Bob Saunders to discuss past jobs, what NFL players they’d like to coach and the new era of Oberlin football. What drew you to Oberlin? Bob Saunders: I had spent... Read more »

In The Locker Room with Josh Urso, Jimmy Taylor and Jerry Choi

Sarah Orbuch, Sports Editor
May 2, 2014
Filed under In the Locker Room, SPORTS, Track and Field

This week the Review sat down with men’s track and field runners senior Jimmy Taylor, junior Jerry Choi and sophomore Josh Urso to discuss breaking school records, pole vaulting and pre-race rituals. How is the season going so far? Jimmy Taylor: It’s... Read more »

Boston United By Marathon

Sarah Orbuch, Sports Editor
April 25, 2014
Filed under Editorials & Features, SPORTS

It is hard to believe that a whole year has passed since the bombing at the finish line of the 117th Boston Marathon. I had signed up for race alerts for my friend who was running, and when I received a text message saying she had finished, I put away my phone and stopped paying attention to the race. Two... Read more »

In the Locker Room With Sophia Brancazio, Molly Martorella and Lauren Taylor

Sarah Orbuch, Sports Editor
April 18, 2014

This week the Review sat down with women’s track and field seniors Sophia Brancazio, Lauren Taylor and Molly Martorella to discuss Nationals, setting conference records and injuries. How is the season going so far? Sophia Brancazio: The team’s been great, especially with... Read more »

Athletes Shouldn’t be Paid

Sarah Orbuch, Sports Editor
April 11, 2014

At Division-I institutions, student-athletes are expected to give 40–50 hours per week to their program. While this time commitment is similar to that of a fulltime job, when students make the decision to pursue athletics at the collegiate level, they are signing on to be a student and an athlete. A... Read more »

In the Locker Room With Melanie Budney, Kelsey Steiner, Emily King and Richelle Romanchik

Sarah Orbuch, Sports Editor
April 4, 2014
Filed under In the Locker Room, Recent Stories, SPORTS

This week, the Review sat down with senior softball teammembers Melanie Budney, Kelsey Steiner, Emily King and Richelle Romanchik to discuss water fights, crushing Kenyon College and a 10th inning walk-off spring break victory. How was your annual spring break trip to Florida?  Kesley Steiner:... Read more »

Abusive Coaches Cross Line

Sarah Orbuch, Sports Editor
March 14, 2014
Filed under Editorials & Features, Recent Stories, SPORTS

We’ve all had that coach: the one who makes you do extra laps after practice, unnecessarily blows the whistle and makes you wake up at the crack of dawn to foster “mental toughness.” It’s the coaches’ jobs to be tough on their players, make them work harder and push them past their limits.... Read more »

In the Locker Room with Sean Seaman, Mickey Fiorillo and Paul Paschke

Sarah Orbuch, Sports Editor
March 7, 2014
Filed under In the Locker Room, Lacrosse, SPORTS, Varsity Spring

This week the Review sat down with men’s lacrosse seniors Paul Paschke and Mickey Fiorillo and junior Sean Seaman to discuss beating The College of Wooster, squash court locker rooms and their forgotten fourth housemate.  How is the season going so far? Paul Paschke:... Read more »

Flawless? Give me a Break

Sarah Orbuch, Sports Editor
February 28, 2014

In honor of the 50th anniversary of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, the magazine is going plastic. Last week, Mattel and Sports Illustrated announced that they’d collaborate to put Barbie on the cover and place a four-page advertising feature inside the magazine. Their campaign... Read more »

In the Locker Room with Johnnie Kallas, Eastman Presser, Griffin Sabelli and David Morris

Sarah Orbuch, Sports Editor
February 21, 2014

This week the Review sat down with senior bowling members Johnnie Kallas, Eastman Presser, Griffin Sabelli and David Morris to discuss their first bowling experiences,Tom Reid and the challenges of mental preparation. When did you first learn to bowl? Eastman Presser:... Read more »

Olympic Fans Transfixed by Twitter

Sarah Orbuch, Sports Editor
February 14, 2014

Every two years, for two weeks, the world is abuzz with Olympic fever. But how much of this excitement is actually for the athletic competitions? Olympic athletes train for many years, putting their bodies through workouts most people would never dare to try, then catapult themselves through the air... Read more »

Assistant Coach Replaces Ramsey

Sarah Orbuch, Sports Editor
February 7, 2014
Filed under Football, SPORTS

Delta Lodge Director of Athletics Natalie Winkelfoos announced Thursday that interim-head coach Jay Anderson will take on the roll of new head football coach, effective immediately. A former assistant, Anderson was named to the interim position after Jeff Ramsey was relieved of his duties... Read more »

In the Locker Room with Geoff Simpson, Derrick Sant, Emmanuel Lewis and Lillian Jahan

Sarah Orbuch, Sports Editor
February 7, 2014

This week the Review sat down with senior men’s basketball players Geoff Simpson, Derrick Sant and Emmanuel Lewis and senior women’s basketball player Lillian Jahan to discuss what it’s like to live together, what they expect for the rest of their seasons and Geoff’s sleeping habits.   How... Read more »

Krislov Continues Focus on Athletics

Sarah Orbuch, Staff Writer
December 13, 2013

During his tenure at Oberlin College, college President Marvin Krislov has positively developed the culture of health and wellness, and athletics at Oberlin College. The evolution will continue as the new Austin E. Knowlton Athletics Complex is developed. In 2007, Philips... Read more »

Groundbreaking for New Athletic Facility Begins Saturday

Sarah Orbuch, Staff Writer
November 15, 2013
Filed under Campus News, Editorials & Features, NEWS, Recent Stories, SPORTS

The official groundbreaking ceremony for the Austin E. Knowlton Athletics Complex will take place this Saturday. The $8 million donation for the new facility marks the biggest donation the school has ever received for athletics. The ceremony will take place before the football team takes on the Hiram... Read more »

In the Locker Room with Natalie Winkelfoos and Creg Jantz

Sarah Orbuch, Staff Writer
November 1, 2013

This week the Review sat down with Director of Athletics and Physical Education Natalie Winkelfoos and Senior Associate Director of Athletics Creg Jantz to discuss fall season highlights, mascots and pick-up lines. What has been your favorite fall sports moment? Natalie Winkelfoos:... Read more »

Alumni Return for Homecoming

Sarah Orbuch, Staff Writer
October 11, 2013
Filed under Editorials & Features, Football, SPORTS, Varsity Fall

At a small school, it is obvious when there are new faces on campus. If you happened to walk by the athletics facilities this past weekend, you would have seen dozens of people walking around in their old Oberlin College athletics gear, greeting old friends, meeting new athletics staff and looking at... Read more »

Field Hockey Secures First Conference Win

Sarah Orbuch
September 27, 2013
Filed under Field Hockey, SPORTS, Varsity Fall

The Yeowomen had a dominant showing in their double-header home opener this past weekend. After beginning their season with five tough games on the road, playing at home provided a much needed a change of pace. Despite a narrow loss against the nationally ranked DePauw University Tigers on Saturday,... Read more »

Yeomen Start Season With Historic Win

Sarah Orbuch , Staff Writer
September 20, 2013
Filed under Football, SPORTS, Varsity Fall

The Yeomen started their season on a high note with a 19–2 victory over the visiting Case Western Reserve University Spartans in their home opener this past Sunday. It had been 28 years since the football team last upended the Spartans, when they beat them 17–6 in a season-opening triumph in 1982. “This... Read more »

Team Veterans Lead Yeomen to Early Success

Sarah Orbuch , Staff Writer
September 13, 2013
Filed under Soccer, SPORTS, Varsity Fall

The Yeomen started their season with two hard-earned victories over Hope College and Concordia University in Michigan. In the first game, sophomore John Ingham scored the first goal of the season off a cross from junior Dylan Tencic, and sophomore Slade Gottlieb quickly followed suit, netting the game-winning... Read more »

Softball Struggles Through Bad Weather and Injuries

Sarah Orbuch, Staff Writer
April 26, 2013
Filed under Softball, SPORTS, Varsity Spring

The spring sports season has proven to be a battle with Mother Nature, as there have been many rainy and cold days that have forced teams to reschedule or cancel their games. Just this week, the softball team was forced to reschedule a conference match from Wednesday to this weekend. Despite all of the... Read more »

T&F Impresses at Indoor Championships

Sarah Orbuch, Staff Writer
March 8, 2013
Filed under ARTS, SPORTS, Track and Field, Varsity Spring

The Yeomen and Yeowomen concluded the indoor track and field season with many impressive performances this past weekend at the North Coast Athletic Conference Indoor Championships. Junior Sophia Brancazio, sophomores Margaret Miller and Ashley Parish and senior Marissa Clardy started the meet off with... Read more »

First-Years Make Big Splash in NCAC Championships

Sarah Orbuch, Staff Writer
February 22, 2013
Filed under SPORTS, Swimming and Diving, Varsity Winter

The Yeomen and Yeowomen swimmers concluded their impressive season with record-breaking performances at the North Coast Athletic Conference swimming and diving championships last week. The first record-setting time came from first-years Jillian Sarazen, Olivia Degitz, Deirdre Haren and Samma Regan... Read more »

What You Missed: Winter Term Recap

Sarah Orbuch, Staff Writer
February 8, 2013
Filed under Basketball, SPORTS, Swimming and Diving, Track and Field, Track and Field, Varsity Spring, Varsity Winter

Swimming and Diving: Women: The Yeowomen went 3–2 this Winter Term, with major victories against John Carroll University, Ohio Wesleyan University and Notre Dame College. In both meets, the underclassmen showed their competitors that they were not to be overlooked.... Read more »

Interim No More: Natalie Winkelfoos Named Athletic Director

Sarah Orbuch, Staff Writer
December 14, 2012

Interim Delta Lodge Director of Athletics and Physical Education and Senior Woman Administrator Natalie Winkelfoos can take the word “interim” off her title. Last Friday, Winkelfoos was officially named athletic director of Oberlin College, after a month-long interview process. Winkelfoos has held... Read more »

AD Search Down to Final Four

Sarah Orbuch, Staff Writer
December 7, 2012

The listening sessions have ended, and a new Delta Lodge Director of Athletics and Physical Education will be appointed soon. Each candidate had a two-day interview process, involving two forums: one open to students and one with the Student Athlete Advisory Committee and Club Sports Council. At the... Read more »

Yeomen Crush No. 10 Little Giants in Big Win

Sarah Orbuch
November 9, 2012

This past Friday, the Oberlin football team took the long bus ride to Crawfordsville, IN, to play Wabash University. The Little Giants were ranked No. 10 in the country in Division III football. Oberlin was the clear underdog, and every Wabash coach, player and fan expected the game to be a cakewalk.... Read more »

http://oberlinreview.org/article/yeomen-put-terriers-doghouse/

Sarah Orbuch and Nora Ryan
November 2, 2012
Filed under Football, SPORTS, Uncategorized, Varsity Fall

The Yeomen football team shut out the Hiram College Terriers 39–0 with a relentless performance last Saturday night. The team, kept the Terriers scoreless and accomplished its goal of limiting the Terriers to 150 yards, stopping them at 89 total yards. The Yeomen maintained momentum throughout... Read more »

Yeomen Unable to Rally After Rain Delays

Sarah Orbuch
September 28, 2012

The first half started off shaky, but the Yeomen were able to cash in a 35-yard field goal thanks to sophomore kicker Erickson Andrews. The Yeomen were unable to maintain this momentum and the Maroons scored their first touchdown of the game. The defensive duo of Shawn Chrapczynski and Peter Morris responded... Read more »