Conservatory Council Restarted After a Decade, Student Officers Announced

Kristopher Fraser , Staff Writer
May 9, 2014
Filed under Campus News, NEWS

The Conservatory announced the results of the election for the newly revived Council of Students on Friday morning. Just over 41 percent of Conservatory and Musical Studies students voted to elect double-degree junior Hannah Santisi president; Jeanette Chen vice president;... Read more »

Athletics Department Adopts New Trans* Policy

Kristopher Fraser , Staff Writer
May 2, 2014
Filed under Campus News, Features, NEWS

Oberlin’s Transgender Participatory Advisory Commit- tee has drafted a new set of athletic guidelines that requires inclusion and improved conditions for current and future trans* athletes. In late 2011, the NCAA established its own guidelines... Read more »

Students Rally to Improve Campus Mental Health Support

Kristopher Fraser, Staff Writer
April 25, 2014
Filed under Campus News, NEWS

With the support of other students dissatisfied with Student Health, graduating College junior John Bergen and College first-year Kennedy Carlick are campaigning to change the department themselves. Carlick is forming a new organization called... Read more »

State Minimum Wage Increases Still Lagging

Kristopher Fraser, Staff Writer
February 14, 2014
Filed under Features, NEWS

President Obama spoke about raising the minimum wage for all federal contract workers to $10.10 an hour in his 2014 State of the Union address, a change that could have a great impact for a small town like Oberlin. Yet in an interview with The Columbus Dispatch, Ohio Governor John Kasich voiced... Read more »

Between a Rook and a Hard Place

Kristopher Fraser
December 13, 2013
Filed under Campus News, Features, NEWS

The Oberlin College Chess Club is working to restore its once distinguished reputation. For the second consecutive year, Oberlin will attend the Pan American Intercollegiate Team Chess Championship, striving to beat last year’s record of fourth place in the division. The tournament will take place... Read more »

Stull Recital Hall Boasts Aesthetics, Not Acoustics

Kristopher Fraser
December 6, 2013
Filed under Campus News, NEWS

The David H. Stull Recital Hall in the Conservatory was recently granted the Honor Award, the highest accolade of Cleveland-area chapters of the American Institute of Architects and the American Society of Interior Designers. But its distinguished prize aside, the new space has experienced its share... Read more »

New 3D Printer Outputs Intricate Designs

Kristopher Fraser
November 22, 2013
Filed under Campus News, Features, NEWS

The College received an object last month, the success of which has recently been the topic of worldwide discussion. The 3-D printer, a machine that has the capability to layout, form and print three-dimensional objects made from plastic, arrived on campus in early October and is now available for use... Read more »

Arthur L. Day Award Recipient to Give Lecture at Oberlin

Kristopher Fraser
November 15, 2013
Filed under Campus News, Features, NEWS

Every three years, the National Academy of Sciences selects a recipient of the Arthur L. Day Prize who has exhibited excellence in scientific pursuits and made a durable contribution to the study of earth physics. This year’s recipient, Dr. Lawrence Edwards, was invited to give a series... Read more »

Dascomb Trims Portion Sizes

Dascomb Trims Portion Sizes

Kristopher Fraser
November 1, 2013
Filed under Campus News, NEWS

Dascomb Dining Hall opened its doors in 1998, providing students with another on-campus dining option. When students returned for the 2013-2014 school year, Dascomb had reduced its portion sizes, which potentially creates more food waste on campus, since less food is being served to students. Many students... Read more »

Limits of Home Rule Discussed Tonight at Potluck

Kristopher Fraser
October 4, 2013
Filed under Community News, NEWS

Oberlin has recently begun to feel the effects of home rule, which grants local government a certain level of autonomy. It enables cities and counties to pass laws and municipal ordinances that the community and city council deem appropriate. In light of the override... Read more »

Students Adjust to New Printing System on Campus

Kristopher Fraser
September 20, 2013
Filed under Campus News, NEWS

For the past several years, Oberlin students have grown accustomed to the Pharos-Uniprint system. Under this system, students sent their docu- ments to the printer, swiped their identification cards at the corresponding print station and selected their desired document. As of the 2013-2014 school year,... Read more »

New Quantitative Center Makes Sciences Accessible

Kristopher Fraser
September 13, 2013
Filed under Campus News, NEWS

For the past several years, campus has been home to the Writing Center, an outlet for students to convene and work on their essays alongside trained writing assistants. Given Oberlin’s plethora of writing-intensive courses, this center has proved useful to students of all departments. However, what... Read more »

Oberlin Public School Expands Campus

Kristopher Fraser
September 6, 2013
Filed under Community News, NEWS

The Oberlin Public School System recently decided to expand its facilities. OPS is seeking land currently owned by the College in order to add four more buildings to the Oberlin High School. The nine-acre plot in question has a purchase cost of approximately $50,000, but the college is offering to make... Read more »