Review Security Notebook

Thursday, Feb. 26

2:30 p.m. A student reported the loss or theft of their iPhone from the Wilder Bowl area. The phone was not in a case. The estimated value of the phone was $150.

7:38 p.m. A facilities technician responded to a low temperature alarm on the first floor of Kahn Hall. The technician found the window open, causing the thermostat not to function. There was an odor of burnt incense, and the smoke detector was found off its base. The smoke detector was repaired and the window closed.

Friday, Feb. 27

7:25 a.m. A custodial staff member reported the theft of a coffee table from the lounge area at Fairchild House. The table is made of light-colored wood, measures approximately 3 feet by 2 feet and 18 inches tall and is valued between $100 and $150.

10:58 p.m. A student staff member reported an odor of burnt marijuana coming from a room on the first floor of Bailey House. Attempts to make contact with the occupant were unsuccessful. The room was checked and no additional violations were in plain sight.

Saturday, Feb. 28

9 a.m. An officer on patrol near the Allen Memorial Art Museum detected an odor of natural gas. Members of the Oberlin Fire Department also responded. There was no reading of gas in the area; the odor was found to be coming from a custodial drain which had dried up. Facilities was notified.

10:32 a.m. An officer doing routine rounds of Barrows Hall was advised of an exit sign hanging down on the second floor at the top of the stairwell. Unknown person(s) pulled down the exit sign and left it hanging by wires. A work order was filed.

Sunday, March 1

12:22 a.m. An officer responded to a noise complaint on Elmwood Place. Contact was made with the host of an unauthorized party. Officers then closed the party down and dispersed approximately 150 students.

11:17 a.m. A facilities staff member reported a ceiling leak in a room on the second floor of Talcott Hall. The staff member observed a large hole in the ceiling and conjectured that an ice dam was possibly causing the leak. Some occupants have been temporarily relocated until repairs are made.

12:55 p.m. A resident of Johnson House reported the theft of their wallet, blue and silver scarf and iPod, valued at $300, from their unlocked and unattended room.

Monday, March 2

12:31 a.m. An officer on patrol at Hales Gymnasium noticed a hole in the steam line in the men’s locker room. The manager on call was contacted, and an HVAC technician responded for repair.

9:05 a.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on the first floor of Afrikan Heritage House. Overheated grease from cooked bacon activated the alarm. The system was reset.

5:09 p.m. A student reported chalk writing on the porch of Wilder Hall. A facilities manager was contacted for cleanup.

Wednesday, March 4

12:16 a.m. A student reported the theft of their locked bicycle from a bike rack at Mudd library sometime within the last month. The bicycle is a black and gray Trek with a black seat and black and gray handgrips. The bike is worth approximately $200.