Review Security Notebook

Thursday, March 5

12:29 a.m. Officers received a report of a disorderly student at the ’Sco. ’Sco attendants turned away the student because the venue was at full capacity and the student became upset. The individual left before the officers arrived.

10:09 p.m. Residents of Barrows Hall reported a strong odor consistent with burnt marijuana on the second floor. Officers contacted the occupants of the room, who admitted to smoking marijuana.

Friday, March 6

2:40 p.m. A student staff member reported finding a grill, charcoal and lighter fluid at a village housing unit on Elmwood Place during Life Safety inspection. The lighter fluid was confiscated and transported to the security office for disposal. The residents will be told to discard the grill and charcoal.

11:36 p.m. A student staff member reported a strong odor consistent with burnt marijuana on the second floor of Barrows Hall. The occupant of the room denied smoking marijuana and said the smell was incense. A bagged smoke detector was also observed in the room; the bag was removed.

Saturday, March 7

8:38 a.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on the second floor of Burton Hall. Smoke from burnt eggs triggered the alarm. The area was ventilated, and the alarm was reset.

10:07 a.m. A student from a Woodland Street village housing unit requested assistance with cleaning fire extinguisher residue from the kitchen. The residue was a result of a small stovetop fire from the previous evening. Custodial staff was contacted to assist with cleanup.

9:22 p.m. A person attending a conference in the Williams Field House reported the theft of their green iPhone 4s from under a bag in the Williams Field House.

9:49 p.m. A resident of the Goldsmith Apartments reported several students making noise and throwing bottles as they boarded a party bus. The bus was leaving the area as the officers arrived. Several beer bottles were observed on the ground, which were picked up by the student who issued the complaint.

9:59 p.m. A resident of Langston Hall reported locating a syringe near a trash can on the second floor. The syringe was collected and taken to Mercy Allen Hospital for disposal.

Sunday, March 8

10:20 a.m. An officer patrolling Peters Hall discovered that the basement was flooded and could not enter.

Tuesday, March 10

5:16 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm in the basement of Peters Hall. Blowers, which were being used to dry the basement, stirred drywall dust into the detector and activated the alarm. The alarm was reset.

6 p.m. A student staff member located several bottles of beer and other types of alcohol in a room in East Hall during Life Safety inspections. The bottles were confiscated and transported to the Safety and Security office.