Security Report: Oct. 31 – Nov. 6, 2013

Thursday, Oct. 31

9:48 a.m. A resident of Langston Hall reported that the residue caused by spray painting in her room had activated the smoke detector. Officers responded and an electrician was requested to replace the detector head. The student was advised against spray painting in the room.

3:14 p.m. Staff members conducting Life Safety inspections reported a room in Saunders House with a bagged smoke detector. An officer responded, removed the plastic covering and disposed of the plastic bag.

6:05 p.m. A DeCafé staff member requested assistance with an intoxicated individual in the dining area. Officers responded and the individual told them that he had just been released from Mercy Allen Hopsital. A short time later he told the officers that he was sick and requested an ambulance for transport to the hospital. An ambulance was summoned and hw was transported to the hospital.

Friday, Nov. 1

2:11 a.m. Officers were requested to assist a student who was ill from alcohol consumption on the first floor of Barrows Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

10:31 a.m. Officers responded to assist a student who fell and struck her head on the west side of the Conservatory. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

11:25 p.m. Officers responded to the report of an odor consistent with burnt tobacco and marijuana on the third floor of Dascomb Hall. A resident admitted that their roommate was burning incense. Both the incense and the holder were confiscated and the resident was advised about the burning and smoking policies.

Saturday, Nov. 2

1:02 a.m. Officers were requested to assist with an intoxicated, unresponsive student in South Hall. An ambulance was requested and the student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital.

1:30 a.m. A resident of Noah Hall reported hearing the sound of glass breaking on the fourth floor as well as observing of an individual walking down the stairs. Officers responded to the scene and found that a microwave plate had been broken in the kitchenette. A work order was filed for glass clean up and a search of the area was made for the individual with negative results.

1:48 a.m. A student reported witnessing individuals throwing beer bottles from the balcony of a Union Street apartment. Officers made contact with approximately 10 students at the apartment and an emergency work order was filed for glass clean-up.

10:22 p.m. Officers responded to a report of someone smoking on the fifth floor of a Firelands Apartment. Contact was made with the resident who admitted to smoking a cigarette in the room. The student was advised of the College’s smoking policies.

11:16 p.m. Officers observed an individual lying in the grass outside of the Safety and Security Office. The intoxicated individual became belligerent with officers, who then contacted members of the Oberlin Police Department for backup. The individual was arrested and charged with public intoxication.

Sunday, Nov. 3

12:03 a.m. Officers were requested to assist a student who was ill from alcohol consumption at a Goldsmith apartment. An ambulance was requested and the student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment. While at the apartment, a second student ill from alcohol consumption was located. A second ambulance was requested and the student was also transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

1:08 a.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on the fourth floor of Noah Hall. Although no fire was present, smoke was seen in the hallway and a burnt bag of popcorn was found in a nearby trashcan. The area was cleared and the alarm was reset.

1:10 a.m. Officers were requested to assist with a student ill from alcohol consumption on the third floor of East Hall. Officers talked with the student, who was able to answer all questions. The student remained in his room.

4:09 p.m. Members of Dascomb Hall’s dining hall staff reported that an exterior freezer appeared to have been tampered with. Screws looked as though they were drilled out in an attempt to make entry. Nothing appeared to be missing and a work order was filed for security screws to be installed.

7:55 p.m. A dining hall maintenance worker reported that a fire had ensued while staff members were attempting to clean the fryer in the Rathskellar. The flames were extinguished with large metal cookie sheets. Facilities staff responded to turn off the gas until the fryer was further inspected. No injuries were reported.

Monday, Nov. 4

12:57 a.m. Officers reported witnessing an overhead light hanging from the ceiling by exposed wires in South Hall, near the first floor men’s room. An electrician responded to secure the broken light.

10 a.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on the first floor of Keep Cottage. The alarm was activated by smoke from students who had been cooking without the use of exhaust fans. The students were advised to use the fans and the alarm was reset.

1:15 p.m. A student reported the possible theft of her coat from the first floor women’s restroom in the Science Center. The coat is a black full length London Fog jacket and is valued at approximately $50.