Day of Service Benefits Kendal Community

Kate Pilacky, Associate Field Director, Western Reserve Land Conservancy

To the Editors:

Western Reserve Land Conservancy would like to thank the Bonner Center for Service and Learning and the wonderful group of students who once again worked diligently on the Day of Service. The hardworking students cleared invasive plants and trees on two wooded areas, transforming them to lovely wooded garden areas for folks of all ages to enjoy. These groups of students join a tradition of past Day of Service participants that have made a transforming effect on the two areas — one on campus and one in the community.

Residents at Kendal at Oberlin, as well as staff, volunteers from Western Reserve Land Conservancy and past Day of Service students, have worked for several years clearing an area and planting native wildflowers and trees in a nice little patch of woods near a well-used pathway that residents frequently use. Students worked hard to extend the area this year, clearing the invasive buckthorn and laying mulch down for a nice continuous pathway that residents and visitors can enjoy. The efforts of the students this year and in past years have made this area a nice, quiet haven of biodiversity near a very rich wetland. I encourage Oberlin College students to come and visit this area near Buttonbush Pond on the Kendal campus. It is a fine example of a great College and community partnership.

Ever since the building of the Kahn [Hall] on the Oberlin College campus, students and community residents have transformed the wooded area directly east of Kahn to a wonderful arboretum. Garlic mus-tard and buckthorn have been removed, native plants and trees have been planted and the area has become a natural haven. Students can now enjoy another pleasing quiet natural area on their college campus. Nature has responded as well; there was a pair of resident red-shouldered hawks that moved into the area this past spring. Please come and visit the area sometime; it is here literally in your backyard! Fall is a great season to enjoy it. Look for more work to be completed on the area in the next few weeks.

Kudos and thanks to the Bonner Center, Oberlin College Grounds Department and to both student teams for your help!

– Kate Pilacky

Associate Field Director
Western Reserve Land Conservancy, Oberlin Field Office