Students Should Bring Perspective to City Council

Sharon Fairchild-Soucy, Vice President of Oberlin City Council

To the Editors:

From my position as vice president of Oberlin’s City Council, I want to welcome both returning and new Oberlin College students to town. This will be your hometown for the next eight months, and I encourage you to be aware of issues that affect not only the College but also the town.

Traditionally, Oberlin students have been leaders in finding solutions to environmental problems, poverty, disenfranchisement, gun violence and a broad range of social justice issues. Students have made major contributions as tutors and mentors in our public schools and as supporters of our community garden. Your creativity and thoughtful problem-solving regularly energize the town.

Some of you choose to register in Oberlin, and if, after careful study, you vote in local elections, that is an experience that can benefit the town and enrich your college experience.

[The] September 25 [issue of the] Review is a stellar example of students learning about the town and writing thoughtful summaries of issues facing the city. Parking, for example, remains a difficult problem of concern for both “town and gown.”

As you embark on your busy year of study, know that you are welcomed by the city of Oberlin, as citizens feel that our town comes alive each September. I wish you all successful, fulfilling years at Oberlin College. If you have an interest in city politics, feel free to call me or any other City Council member or to drop into a City Council meeting the first and third Mondays of the month at City Hall. Once again, welcome to Oberlin!

Sharon Fairchild-Soucy

Vice President, Oberlin City Council