Review Security Notebook

Thursday, Oct. 1

5:53 p.m. Facilities staff reported the theft of copper piping from a College-owned house on East Lorain Street. Members of the Oberlin Police Department also responded.

8:15 p.m. Officers were requested to assist with a safety inspection at Saunders House. A plastic shopping bag was covering a smoke detector in a room on the second floor. The officers removed the bag and checked the detector, which was in working condition.

Saturday, Oct. 3

12:14 a.m. Officers were requested to assist with a student ill from alcohol consumption at South Hall. An ambulance was requested and the student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

9:22 a.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at a Village Housing unit on Elm Street. There was no fire or smoke, and responders were unable to find the cause of the alarm, which was reset with no further problems.

9:05 p.m. Officers were requested to assist with a student who was ill at Kade House. The student was transported to Mercy for treatment.

10:37 p.m. Officers responded to an unauthorized party on the third floor of Burton Hall. The officers observed alcohol in plain view when they entered the room. The alcohol was confiscated and disposed of.

Sunday, Oct. 4

12:54 a.m. Officers were requested to assist a student ill from alcohol consumption in front of Noah Hall. An ambulance was requested and the student was transported to Mercy for treatment.

12:34 a.m. An officer was requested to assist a student who cut their leg on a piece of glass while at an off-campus residence. The student was transported to Mercy for treatment.

Monday, Oct. 5

12:08 a.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at South Hall, which was activated when a birthday cake box caught fire. There was no damage and the fire was immediately extinguished.

7:40 a.m. Custodial staff reported a broken glass window on the second floor stairwell landing of Talcott Hall. A staff member cleaned up the glass and filed a work order for repair.

11:27 a.m. An officer on patrol observed a large broken window on the ground outside of a Village Housing Unit on Cedar Street. The officer checked the rest of the house and secured a window and two doors. The officer then filed a work order for repair.

1:08 p.m. Officers were requested to assist with a safety inspection at a Village Housing Unit on Cedar Street. The officers observed a bagged smoke detector in the dining room and contacted Facilities Operations to remove the bag.

1:25 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on the second floor of South Hall. The alarm had been activated by a blow dryer and was then reset.

4:41 p.m. Officers were requested to assist with a safety inspection at the Union Street Housing Complex. A bagged smoke detector, multi-colored pipe, silver grinder, a baggie and several small containers of marijuana were in plain view. The bag was removed from the detector by Facilities Operations staff and all other items were turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

Tuesday, Oct. 6

2:26 p.m. Officers were requested to assist with a safety inspection at an Elm Street apartment. A strong odor of burnt marijuana was detected in the apartment. The occupant denied smoking anything in the apartment and was advised of the College’s smoking policy.

11:25 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm in the kitchen area of the Asia House basement. The alarm was checked and reset with no further problems.