Yeowomen, Yeomen Up for Homestretch

Darren Zaslau, Sports Editor

Oberlin’s track and field teams trav­eled to Granville, Ohio, Friday to com­pete in the Denison University Last Chance Meet. Sophomore Annie Go­odridge, junior Ave Spencer and first-year Imani Cook-Gist led the way for Oberlin, posting record marks in their respective events.

Oberlin Head Coach Ray Appen­heimer said he was pleased with the team’s effort.

“It was a great last tune-up meet for us heading into the conference meet,” Appenheimer said.

Goodridge tied her own school re­cord in the women’s long jump by re­cording a mark of 5.48 meters, which ranks the sophomore 26th in the nation.

The Boston native said she was sat­isfied with her effort at the Denison meet,but looks forward to improving.

“I just always want to do more,” Go­odridge said. “But that doesn’t mean that I’m not proud of how strong I’ve gotten and how hard I’ve worked to get better.”

Ave Spencer had an incedible perfor­mance as well. The junior from Good­year, AZ, set a new Oberlin College mark on the pole vault, recording a score of 3.51 meters, which ranks her 37th in the country. The measure erases Lauren Vernon’s, OC ’11, previous record of 3.39 meters.

Along with Goodridge and Spencer, Cook-Gist also had a memorable day. The first-year from Santa Monica, CA, broke the Oberlin College record in the 60-meter dash with a time of 8 minutes, 0.026 seconds. The score positioned her in fifth place, as she topped Margaret Miller’s record time of 8.07 that Miller recorded at the NCAC Championship Meet just a year ago.

Cook-Gist said she was proud of her performance and of the collective effort from the team.

“I’m really happy with what hap­pened,” Cook-Gist said. “Overall, I feel like everyone performed amazingly.”

First-year Megan Robinson finished first in the high jump, leaping an im­pressive 1.53 meters.

On the men’s side of the meet, Na­than Danko finished as a runner-up in the pole vault. The senior from Vermil­ion, Ohio, posted an impressive height of 4.27 meters.

Joshua Urso placed third in the men’s 400-meter dash, finishing with a time of 52.34. Along with Urso and Danko, sophomore thrower Avery Mc­Thompson had an excellent showing in the men’s weight throw. The Dripping Springs, TX, native posted a third-place finish with a throw of 13.47 meters.

Given the success of the countless athletes on the team, Appenheimer said he is optimistic as the Yeomen and Yeo­women enter one of the most competi­tive stretches in the season.

“For the women’s team, we really want to finish second,” Appenheimer said.

According to Appenheimer, Ohio Wesleyan University will prove to be stiff competition on the women’s side. He added that the competition in the men’s division will be a “dogfight,” as Wabash College and Ohio Wesleyan have extremely talented teams.

For Oberlin’s track and field teams, the competition will only get tougher.

On Friday and Saturday, both squads will travel to Gambier, Ohio, for the 2015–2016 North Coast Athletic Confer­ence Indoor Track and Field Champion­ships. The meet will take place at Ken­yon College.