DeCafé Employee Expresses Gratitude, Bids Farewell

Kathy Baker, DeCafé Grill Cook/Counter Cook/Cashier

To the Editors:

My name is Kathy. I work in Wilder Hall in DeCafé. Most of you see me when I’m working on the cash register. Some of you may know I’m retiring this December. I want to say a few things to you, the students, before I go.

Thank you. You cannot know how much you have enriched my life over the years. Thank you for your energy and your humor. They have sustained me. Thank you for the conversations we’ve had — wonderful conversations about your families, your travels, your studies, your plans for the future. I have so enjoyed these interactions with you.

Thank you for the invitations to your recitals and performances. I have thoroughly enjoyed attending and have been amazed by your talents!

Thank you to those of you who have invited me to your sporting events. Win or lose, I have had a lot of fun watching you play and cheering you on from the stands!

A very special thank you to the students working in Dining Services. I have enjoyed working with you and I treasure the friendships that have developed between us.

Most importantly, I want all of you to know that if I have made your life a little brighter with a smile or a hug when you’ve needed it, you have given the same back to me a hundred times over. Thank you!

As for me, I’ve very excited about my life after retirement. My plans include spending more time with my family, especially my sweet 14-month-old granddaughter (you may have seen a picture or two of her, haha), traveling, spending time with friends, continuing to attend events at the College, learning new things, cooking and also eating out (because really, who doesn’t love good food?), trying new hobbies and getting back to old ones. You might just see me at DeCafé, because I intend to visit often. I also plan to attend the next five commencements, since some students are here for five years, and I want to have the pleasure of seeing each and every one of you graduate.

Enjoy your time here at the College, and please know I wish all of you the very best as you continue on your life’s journey.

Finally, will the student who wanted the lavender recipes please contact me? I still have them for you. Regretfully, I didn’t get your name when we spoke, so I haven’t been able to contact you. Thanks!

Fondly,

– Kathy Baker
DeCafé Grill Cook/Counter Cook/Cashier