Security Report

Security Advisory

A resident of Huron, Ohio, David K. Schindley, has been arrested on suspicion of spying on and recording cell-phone video of Oberlin College residential buildings as well as other residencies in the area from January and early February. According to the Clery Timely Warning Notice issued on Feb. 16, “Law enforcement has taken custody of known recordings and has or will contact affected individuals of the spaces that were identified.”

Thursday, Feb. 9

11:55 a.m. Safety and Security officers assisted a staff member who fell on a West Lorain Street sidewalk and injured their hand. They declined medical treatment.

6:29 p.m. Officers responded to assist a staff member who fell on ice in the parking lot between King Building and Dascomb Hall, injuring their hand, lower back and knee. No medical treatment was given on the scene.

9:15 p.m. Officers responded to a report of an odor of burnt marijuana on the first floor of Noah Hall. Contact was made with the occupants of the room, who admitted to smoking marijuana. Several ashtrays were confiscated.

Saturday, Feb. 11

1:23 a.m. Officers assisted a student ill under the influence of marijuana in Dascomb Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

2:30 a.m. Officers assisted a student ill from alcohol consumption in South Hall. The student declined transportation to the hospital and was able to walk on their own. Thee student was transported to their dorm.

7:28 a.m. Officers assisted an ill student in the Allen Memorial Art Museum. The student said they had not eaten, was given Gatorade and transported to their room at their request.

11:12 a.m. Science Center faculty reported graffiti inside and outside of the Science Center. Thee graffiti, written in chalk, was found on doors and walls inside the building, the brick wall outside and on sandstone. Facilities Operations staff responded for clean up.

5:05 p.m. A visitor to campus reported the theft of their wallet from the Heisman Club Field House lounge. Thee wallet contained cash, miscellaneous cards and an ID. At 10:37 p.m., the visitor called and said the wallet was recovered, with all items intact.

10:59 p.m. A student reported an unknown person who threw a bottle at a Goldsmith apartment window, breaking it. Officers responded to the area, and a facilities technician responded to repair and clean up.

Sunday, Feb. 12

12:24 a.m. Officers assisted a student ill from alcohol consumption on the first floor of Noah Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

1:26 a.m. Officers responded to a noise complaint at a Pleasant Street Village Housing Unit and observed an unauthorized party. The residents were contacted, and the party was closed down.

2:30 a.m. Members of the Oberlin Police Department made contact with an intoxicated student wandering around their parking lot. e student was transported to their room in South Hall.

12:40 p.m. A resident of Barrows Hall reported occupants of a room on the second floor smoking contraband. Contact was made with the occupants of the room in question and both admitted to smoking marijuana. Officers observed that the smoke detector was bagged, and the bag was removed.

2:24 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at a Goldsmith apartment. The alarm was triggered by smoke from cooking. The area was cleared, and the alarm reset.

Tuesday, Feb. 14

6:37 p.m. Officers assisted a staff member who fell down steps, injuring their ankle at a house on South Professor Street. The staff member was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

9:44 p.m. Officers responded to a report of the odor of burnt marijuana on the first floor of Barrows Hall. Contact was made with the occupants of the room in question, who admitted to smoking marijuana. A jar, containing a small amount of marijuana, was confiscated.