Security Report: Dec. 5 – Dec. 9, 2013


Thursday, Dec. 5

 11:32 a.m. An Allen Memorial Art Museum security officer requested assistance with an ill student, who had fainted, at the museum. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

 10:42 p.m. An anonymous student called to report someone smoking on the fourth floor of Mudd library. When they arrived at the scene, the officers detected a cigarette odor and made contact with the nearby students. Both students denied smoking. The students were reminded of campus smoking policy.

Friday, Dec. 6

 8:19 p.m. Campus officers and members of the Oberlin Police Department responded to a 911 call from East Hall. Both the interior and exterior of the building were checked but nothing suspicious was found. The phone by the eastern door was found open and activated with no one around.

Saturday, Dec. 7

 10:01 a.m. An officer on patrol observed damage to a section of the Goldsmith gate by the Quonset hut. The gate was bent and the latch was broken in two pieces. The gate cannot be secured until repairs are made.

 4:59 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm in the basement of Asia House. The smoke from cooking pancakes had activated the alarm, which was then reset.

 3:06 p.m. An officer on patrol of the parking lot on Hollywood Street observed a rental vehicle with a shattered windshield. Facilities Operation was notified and the damage is under investigation.

Sunday, Dec. 8

 4:11 p.m. A student reported his black coat and dark colored sweater had gone missing from the ’Sco the previous night. His car keys were in the pocket of his coat.

Monday, Dec. 9

12:53 p.m. A member of the grounds staff reported observing a broken bench on the southeast walkway of Mudd library. A work order was filed for repair.

 3:56 p.m. Residents of Barrows Hall reported a strong odor of cigarette smoke coming from a room on the third floor. Officers made contact with the occupant of the room in question. The student admitted both to periodically smoking in his room and to periodically covering the smoke detector with plastic. The plastic was removed and the student was issued a warning.

 6:22 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm that had been activated in a room on the first floor of South Hall. Upon arriving to the room, officers detected a strong odor of burnt marijuana. A small amount of a leafy substance consistent with marijuana, rolling papers and a portion of a marijuana cigarette were all observed in plain view. All items were confiscated, and the alarm was reset.