Apology for Divisive Nature of Responses, Not for Protesting Krislov

A.D. Hogan

Last week, a petition calling for a “formal, public apology” from me was circulated on the internet, primarily through social media. I’m writing to apologize. I am deeply apologetic for the distracting, divisive nature of people’s responses, and I am deeply apologetic for how these responses have diverted attention away from our task of making this community more just. Nonetheless, I remain unapologetic for protesting President Krislov’s interview on CNN.

Students who are not directly targeted by recent events cannot judge nor invalidate the actions of students who are continually marginalized and oppressed, institutionally and interpersonally; instead, we all must listen to the experiences of students of color and queer students and must commit ourselves to allyship when asked to. “Ally” is not an identity category. Rather, we all must engage in allyship; allyship means to be committed to actions, accountability, and self-reflection that aim to dismantle structural injustices and daily microaggressions. Allyship requires much more than attending a rally or a convocation and does not include demonizing students who engage in direct action. Allyship does not rest on one’s approval of certain actions, but one’s commitment to ending injustices. I ask all of us to seriously listen to and engage with our fellow students and to question the “image” we have of Oberlin and, ultimately, I think we must demand honest and transparent answers from ourselves, our communities and our college.

No bullshit.
–A.D. Hogan
Senior Class President Pronouns: they, them, theirs