DIY Reigns at Guerilla Gallery

Ilse Miller, Staff Writer

Last Friday, 76 East College Street was transformed into a student-run art show called Guerilla Gallery. Organized by College senior Ryan Kavanaugh, the event showed pieces by Kavanaugh, College senior Thomas Huston, College senior Mat- thew Gallagher, Conservatory senior Grace Lu, and College juniors Connor Donahue, Paul Miller Gamble and Aaron Garfinkel.

Several portraits by Lu struck a particular chord of sincerity. As her photographs played with the relationship between the subjects and their background, Lu’s work was able to capture each individual’s unique characteristics within the frame. Donahue, an active member of the Oberlin Comics Collective, highlighted his precision of detail and his expert skill with pen work in his exhibited drawings. Kavanaugh’s piece, titled “Rebellion”, featured a couch turned at a 90-degree angle so that it stood against a wall.

Another significant draw of Guerilla Gallery was a live jazz set played by Men With Short Beards, whose members include sophomore double-degree student Stephen Becker on guitar, double-degree senior Nate Mendelsohn on alto saxophone, College senior Duncan Standish on drums and Conservatory junior Cory Todd on upright bass. The music lasted well into the night; as the evening grew rowdier and their set wound down, the ensemble began to jam on pop classics like Beyoncé’s “Countdown.” The crowd’s raucous dancing caused the floor to buckle to the beat. On the heels of art shows organized by students outside of the Studio Art department through groups like Exhibition Initiative and the Quarter Collective, Guerilla Gallery felt like a welcome addition to a burgeoning DIY art scene at Oberlin.