Action Needs To Be Taken On Hate Speech & Related Incidents

Johnny Spinkston

I am a first-year. My preferred gender pronouns are he, him and his. I’m a black man, but, equally important, I’m an Obie.

I know you are aware of the numerous attacks that have been targeted specifically toward students of color, as well as queer-identifying students on campus. Now, unlike many of my fellow Obies, I am not surprised that there is racism on this campus. I am, however, sick — sickened by not only the fact that levels of discrimination toward students of color are so high, but also concerned and angry. Tuition alone here is more than the total cost of many colleges and universities. I personally don’t pay the full price to attend, as the College has been very generous, and I am appreciative beyond words. However there are many students here who do pay that list price. And many have not only been sold the name of Oberlin, but also the history, reputation and a promise.

My MVP experience was phenomenal. I was sold on Oberlin. I didn’t know, however, of the high levels of blatant discrimination targeted towards students of color in the recent past. Since I’ve been here, my Blackness has been equated with ignorance through defacement of Black History month posters, the “safe spaces” open to me have been targeted and attacked and members of my community have been harassed. And in the past, our property has been disrespected, students have been harmed and still the harassment continues. Little does the administration know, Oberlin is getting a new reputation in the community: racist. Students should not be scared where they are paying to be educated and housed. Where they were sold liberality. Sold “progress”. My intentions are not to bash Oberlin, as I do love this school. All I want to know is when is something going to be done by the administration other than a few e-mails? Peers are scared and angry. This could cost the College many current as well as prospective students of color, and other diverse groups at Oberlin. So when is something other than a forum, talk or sit-in going to be done? When I’m harmed? Or God forbid, my friends? I refuse to wait until my third, fourth or even second year to do something about this. I’ve been sold progressive, so where is it?

I wrote the above e-mail three days ago. It’s so ironic because in my draft I mentioned the possibility of someone getting hurt. Now it’s happened. And all we get is a special alert posted around campus? Why wasn’t this included in the e-mail sent recently about the bias incidents? I’ve been trying to contain myself as well as possible but I’m fed up with this nonsense. We are not scared, and you will not quiet us any longer. This is not only a warning, but a promise. When Oberlin is no longer marketed as “liberal” and “progressive,” but as racist, this “diversity” will dilute. My peers and I will make sure that all the students of Oberlin, members of this community, and all prospective students are made aware of these incidents until drastic action is taken. We’re tired of talking. Sit-ins and marches only look good in pictures, but now you know that we’re more than just “In Solidarity,” but in action.

–Johnny Spinkston
College first-year