Weekly COVID-19 Update

Lorain County Updates

Lorain County reported 287 cases and 77 hospitalizations from April 9 to April 15. There were 268 cases the previous week. Given that cases have been rising for the last month, health officials continue to urge caution despite increasing vaccination numbers. 

As of April 15, 37.5 percent of the county’s population has received at least one dose of the vaccine. 

Lorain County remains classified by the Ohio Department of Health at “Red Alert Level Three” on a public emergency scale of four for “very high exposure and spread.” Level Three counties are advised to limit activities as much as possible. Lorain County must meet three benchmarks to move to a lower alert level: lower per capita case levels, lower community spread outside of congregate settings, and a lower seven-day average of cases.

Statewide Updates

COVID-19 cases in Ohio continue to rise. ODH reported 8,450 new statewide COVID-19 cases and 374 hospitalizations this week. Last week Ohio had 8,268 new cases. 

In February, Governor Mike DeWine announced that when Ohio reaches 50 cases per 100,000 people over a two-week period, he will lift all COVID-19-related health orders. However, COVID-19 cases are rising in most states — Ohio included. This week, Ohio has 200 cases per 100,000 people, up from 183.7 last week.

This week, the CDC announced that they are recommending a pause to the distribution of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine after six cases of blood clotting occurred among women who had recently received the vaccine. Yesterday, a CDC advisory committee asked for more data before making a decision about the status of the vaccination, extending the suspension. Ohio will switch over to administering the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines until Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine is cleared by the CDC. 

As of April 15, roughly 36.4 percent of Ohio residents had received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. To learn more about vaccinations and sign up for an appointment, residents can use Ohio’s vaccination tool.  

More information on COVID-19 in Ohio is available through the ODH and LCPH websites, where case numbers are updated every weekday at 2 p.m.

Oberlin College Updates

This week, out of 358 tests administered, the College once again recorded zero new COVID-19 cases. In the past eight weeks there has been just one case. 

Last weekend nearly 600 students, faculty, and staff were vaccinated at a clinic administered by the College. The College asks that students submit documentation of vaccination to their Student Health Portal. Faculty and staff should submit their documentation to Human Resources. 

As of April 8, the College is aware of 231 uploaded vaccine cards from students and 378 from faculty and staff. 

Students who have vaccine appointments outside of Lorain and Cuyahoga Counties should submit a Temporary Travel Approval Form to the College. They will not be required to quarantine or undergo additional testing.