Security Notebook

Thursday, Oct. 7, 2021

1:18 p.m. A student reported their bicycle missing as of sometime in May 2021. The bike is a gray Cannondale with green lettering, unregistered and of unknown value.

9:40 p.m. A custodial manager reported students   up the outside of King Building.

Campus Safety officers responded and observed three students coming down the building. The students were advised to stop climbing down and to exit through the roof hatch. Contact was made with one student who was identified and warned about their actions; other students ran from the area.

Friday, Oct. 8, 2021

12:38 a.m. The Oberlin Police Department reported receiving complaints about a loud party on Elmwood Place. Officers responded and were standing near their vehicles when approximately 10 students began throwing rocks at the officers and vehicles. When officers started to approach, the individuals ran from the area. No one was injured and there was no vehicle damage.

Saturday, Oct. 9, 2021

2:21 a.m. Officers were requested to assist with an intoxicated student who fell and hit their head in the lobby of Firelands Apartments. An ambulance was requested and the student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

7:36 a.m. A contractor reported vandalism on the freshly poured concrete on West College Street just north of Talcott Hall. The affected sidewalk sections were resurfaced immediately.

8:12 a.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department members responded to a fire alarm on the third floor of South Hall. A hint of cigar smoke was detected in the area, which had activated the alarm. The alarm was reset with no further problems.

1:24 p.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department members responded to a fire alarm on the third floor of South Hall. The officers determined that marijuana smoke was responsible for activation of the alarm. An electrician responded and replaced the detector, and the alarm was reset.

Sunday, Oct. 10, 2021

12:36 a.m. Officers responded to a noise complaint from a loud party on Elmwood Place. Upon arrival, approximately 60–80 students were observed leaving the area. The small number of guests who remained were advised to keep the noise down.

1:20 a.m. A student reported a group of five unknown individuals knocked over a portable toilet by Harkness House. Barricades were put up until the toilet could be put back into its upright position.

2:41 a.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department members responded to a fire alarm on the second floor of South Hall. Officers determined that the cause of the alarm was dust or aerosol spray. An electrician responded and the alarm was reset. A second alarm went off at 3:51 a.m. An electrician responded and a fire watch was conducted by officers until a detector was replaced. The alarm was then reset.

Tuesday, Oct. 12, 2021

9:24 p.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at a Union Street Housing Unit. Smoke from cooking in an unattended microwave had activated the alarm. The area was cleared and the alarm was reset.