Security Notebook

Thursday, Dec. 2, 2021

12:34 p.m. Oberlin Student Cooperative Association leadership reported an Oberlin resident dumping trash into the dumpsters by Keep Cottage. Campus Safety officers and the Oberlin Police Department responded and made contact with the resident, who was told not to use the dumpsters.

7:19 p.m. A resident of Kahn Hall reported that the second-floor bathroom door was locked. Officers and a maintenance technician responded and unlocked the door.

Friday, Dec. 3, 2021 

6:38 a.m. A student reported the carbon monoxide detector sounding at their Village Housing Unit on West Lorain Street. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department members responded, but detected no carbon monoxide reading and determined it to be a faulty detector. A work order was filed for a replacement. 

Saturday, Dec. 4, 2021

8:20 a.m. Officers responded to a request for transport of an unwell student to the hospital. An officer transported the student from Barnard House to Mercy Allen Hospital.

3:47 p.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department members responded to a fire alarm in the basement food-storage area of Asia House. Upon arrival, officers observed light smoke. Burnt food was the cause of the alarm. Students were advised to clean the stove and oven before use.

6:05 p.m. Officers were requested to assist with a student experiencing chest pain at Firelands Apartments. An officer transported the student to Mercy Allen Hospital.

10:41 p.m. Officers were requested to assist with an intoxicated and unconscious student lying in the shower in the third-floor restroom at Langston Hall. An ambulance was requested and the student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital.

11:39 p.m. Officers responded to an excessive noise complaint at a Union Street Housing Unit. Contact was made with the resident, and they were advised to turn the music down.

Sunday, Dec. 5, 2021

12:36 a.m. Officers responded to a loud noise complaint at a Goldsmith Village Housing Unit. Upon the officers’ arrival, over 100 individuals were inside the apartment. Students complied with the request to leave and cleared the apartment, and the music was turned down.

5:14 p.m. A Kahn Hall resident reported a locked single-use restroom on the first floor. An officer and maintenance technician responded and unlocked the door.

11:57 p.m. Officers were requested to assist with a student who was not feeling well at Fairchild House. Officers transported the student to Mercy Allen Hospital.

Monday, Dec. 6, 2021

8:28 a.m. Staff reported finding contraband inside lost and found items at the ’Sco. Officers responded and took possession of a black zip-up hoodie and fanny pack. The fanny pack contained a multi-colored bag, glass pipe, grinder, and another bag that contained a leafy substance consistent with marijuana. The contraband was turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

8:57 a.m. Staff reported that there was graffiti written on the window sill in the south stairs of Rice Hall. A work order was filed for clean up.

2:15 p.m. A student reported a suspicious person driving a small silver car, possibly a Honda, who appeared to be recording them with their phone, honking their horn, and laughing. The student met with officers and the Oberlin Police Department. Several safety measures were offered.

Tuesday, Dec. 7, 2021

10:24 a.m. Officers were requested to assist with a student feeling faint at the Allen Memorial Art Museum. The student was given a bottle of water and offered medical assistance, which was declined. The student stated that they were feeling better and returned to their class.

12:01 p.m. Staff reported a strong odor of paint or Sharpie coming from the practice room vents in Robertson Hall, and they were not aware of any work being done in the building. An officer discovered an open container of rubberized sealant in the area. The building was evacuated, the container was removed by facilities staff, and contractors set up a large fan for ventilation.