Security Report: March 1 – March 6, 2012

Staff

Thursday, March 1

8:51 a.m. Custodial staff reported finding a light pole globe in a trash can at Burton Hall. The globe was transported to Facilities Operations.

11:31 a.m. Custodial staff reported a fire extinguisher missing from the first-floor east hallway at Zechiel House. The extinguisher was located on the north side of the building and was found to have been discharged.

Friday, March 2

7:40 a.m. Facilities Services staff reported graffiti, written with black Sharpie, in the first-floor stairwell of North. A work order was filed for clean up.

8:42 a.m. Officers and The Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Harvey House. Smoke from an unattended tea pot on the stove activated the alarm. The area was ventilated and the alarm was reset.

9:49 p.m. Officers responded to a report of loud music at East Hall. Non-residents of the room were asked to leave and the resident was told to keep the music down.

11:20 p.m. A resident of Bailey House reported an odor of cigarette smoke coming from a room on the first floor. The room in question was checked and no odor was detected. Incense and a candle, in plain view, were confiscated.

11:53 p.m. Officers were requested at Lord-Saunders to assist a student who cut his foot. Direct pressure and bandage were applied. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for additional treatment.

11:32 p.m. Officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on the second floor of East Hall. The cause of the alarm was burnt popcorn. The building was cleared of smoke and the alarm was reset.

Sunday, March 4

1:37 a.m. The Oberlin Police Department requested an officer on Walnut Street to transport an intoxicated student, cited for underage consumption, back to his dorm.

2:25 a.m. An intoxicated female student, found knocking on the rear door of the Security Building, was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for medical treatment.

3:28 a.m. An officer reported damage to a security vehicle while it was parked in the security parking lot. A large rock was thrown at the front windshield, shattering it. Two medium dents were observed on the hood of the vehicle and deep scratches were found on the headlight. The incident is under investigation.

9:18 p.m. Officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on the third floor of Barrows Hall. The activated detector was found in a room on the second floor where a strong odor of burnt marijuana was detected. The room was ventilated, and the alarm was reset.

10:20 p.m. Officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on the third floor of Barrows Hall. An activated detector was located, but no cause could be found. The smoke detector was changed and the alarm was reset.

Monday, March 5

7:49 a.m. An officer reported the Exit sign partially torn off the wall at East Hall and wires pulled from the ceiling on the third floor. A work order was placed for repair.

11:55 a.m. A student reported the theft of a backpack from the Wendell Logan Lounge in the Kohl Building. Several items were located nearby and turned in to the Safety and Security Office. The backpack, a cell phone charger and approximately $1,000 cash are still missing.

12:26 p.m. Student reported the theft of $75 cash from his wallet which was in his coat pocket sometime between 8:20 a.m. and 9:50 a.m. while the student was at Warner Gymnasium.

Tuesday, March 6

10:49 a.m. Officers and The Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on the first floor of the Science Center. The alarm was caused by smoke from contractor sawing wood on the northwest corner of the building. The area was ventilated and the alarm reset.

9:23 p.m. Officers were requested to assist with an ill student at the Conservatory. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital by ambulance for treatment.