Security Report: Feb. 17 – Feb. 21, 2012

Staff

Friday, Feb. 17

10:15 a.m. A staff person reported the theft of a light from her bicycle while locked to the bike rack on the east side of Philips Gym.

2:44 p.m. Student reported the theft of a tire from his SE Draft Lite bicycle while in a storage area at Noah Hall. The bicycle was placed in storage over winter break.

11:17 p.m. Officers were requested to assist an intoxicated student in the bathroom at Talcott. The student was able to answer all questions asked and was walked back to his dorm room in Fairchild by officers.

Saturday, Feb. 18

1:11 a.m. A resident of Langston Hall reported two suspicious males on the first floor knocking on room doors. Officers observed the individuals exit the building and run east toward Professor Street. The Oberlin Police Department was requested to assist. The non-student juveniles were taken into custody by police.

3 a.m. An officer on routine building checks found an emergency light pulled out of the ceiling at South Hall. A work order was filed for repair.

5:05 p.m. Student staff reported vandalism to a vending machine on the first floor of East Hall. The front glass was removed and all products were taken. The coin box was pried open and coins removed.

Sunday, Feb. 19

12:47 a.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm activated by a pull station at Johnson House. Approximately 100 students were outside upon arrival; no one took responsibility for activation of the alarm. Students dispersed and the alarm was reset.

1:07 a.m. Officers were requested at College and Professor Streets to assist an intoxicated student. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

3:36 a.m. Officers were requested at Dascomb Hall to assist a student with an allergic reaction to acid taken earlier in the day. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

Monday, Feb. 20

12:24 a.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm activation at Barrows Hall. The cause was smoke from burnt popcorn.

6:01 p.m. A student dining hall employee reported the theft of her Baby-G wristwatch while she was working at Dascomb Hall. The watch was placed in a coat pocket which was hung up. The theft is under investigation.

10:21 p.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on the fourth floor of Mudd Library. An electrician also responded and found moisture inside a detector, which had activated the alarm. The system was reset with no further problems.

Tuesday, Feb. 21

12:11 a.m. Officers responded to a possible discharged fire extinguisher at Fairchild in the stairway. Contents of the fire extinguisher were observed on the floor and dust was in the air. Custodial staff responded for clean up.

7:37 a.m. Custodial staff reported an exit sign torn out of the ceiling in South Hall on the second floor. A work order was filed for repair.

8:18 a.m. Officers responded to a report of graffiti in the bathroom at Kahn Hall. Non-offensive chalk drawings and writings were located in the first-floor bathroom and on the wall of the north stairwell. A work order was filed for removal.

5:25 p.m. Officers responded to Barnard House to assist with an injured student who had fallen in the shower. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.