Yeowomen Lacrosse Starts Season with Ample Ambitions

James Kriz, Staff Writer

The women’s lacrosse team plans to take a major step forward this season. With both old and new talent at every position and a season opening 7–21 victory over Otterbein University, the Yeowomen seem poised to fulfill these high expectations.

Getting to this point wasn’t easy by any means. Former Head Coach, Liz Longley, effectively ditched the team for a job offer from Connecticut College in the early fall, taking the rest of the coaching staff with her. This left the program at a low point, but the team persevered, holding together until an extensive coaching search resulted in the hiring of Head Coach Jacqueline McDevitt from Occidental College and Assistant Coach Nicole Flego out of the University of Delaware. This coaching upgrade supports a roster that boasts athleticism, skill and strong leadership at every position.

Juniors Molly Bloom and Ilyssa Meyer return at attack after leading the unit in scoring in 2011. The two All-North Coast Athletic Conference Honorable Mention selections complement the leadership of senior captain and three-year starter Alice Zicht. Sophomore Simone Brodner and sophomore captain Phoebe Hammer will also be looked to, as both played significant time during the 2011 season.

The midfield is led by senior Lori Sako and sophomore Sarah Andrews, who are also members of the women’s soccer team. First-year captain Kate Hanick, another two-sport athlete who letters in soccer as well as lacrosse, will provide additional talent and athleticism for the midfield.

Hanick will also assist the defense, which is led by sophomores Hannah Christiansen and Sarah Orbuch, who both started all 13 games of the 2011 season. The defense will support Review Sports editor and junior captain Madeleine O’Meara, a veteran goalkeeper who started eight games during the 2011 season, totaling 50 saves.

The strength of this relatively young roster and the new coaching staff was put to the test when the team traveled to Otterbein University March 10 for what proved to be a lopsided contest. Although the Yeowomen held a narrow 2–3 lead eight minutes into the game, by halftime they’d broken out to a 3–11 advantage and ultimately coasted to the 7–21 win.

Hanick’s performance was most memorable. She scored six goals to go with five draw controls and six groundballs. Meyer and first-year Bronwen Schumacher each had four goals, and Zicht led the team in groundballs with nine. The win was a positive start as the team builds momentum heading into challenging NCAC play later on this season.

“We are confident in what we can do going forward, and the win was great, but it’s only one win. The important thing is for us to continue to be successful and get better,” Zicht commented.

The team returns to action this Saturday, March 17, for a home opener against Albion College at 1 p.m.