Security Notebook: Nov. 3 – 8, 2011

Staff

Thursday, Nov. 3

12:20 p.m. Staff at Philips Gym reported an unauthorized individual in the weight room area. Officers approached one male who produced an ID and left the area. Oberlin Police also responded.

4:16 p.m. A student reported the theft of his MacBook Pro from the dining area of Fairchild Co-op. It is valued at approximately $1,700.

7:32 p.m. A student riding his bicycle on South Professor Street reported being harassed by a group of 15 juveniles. The Oberlin Police Department was notified. Officers checked the area, but did not locate the juveniles.

8:29 p.m. Staff reported observing individuals in a light-colored Jeep Cherokee at the intersection of Lorain and Professor Street yelling out of the window and harassing a bicyclist in the area. The Oberlin Police Department was notified, and a check of the area was made.

11:37 p.m. A student reported the theft of her flute from the first-floor women’s restroom at the Conservatory. The flute is a silver, B foot Miyazawa and was inside of a hard black case. The Oberlin Police Department was notified and the incident is under investigation.

Friday, Nov. 4

9:46 a.m. Staff reported an unauthorized and suspicious person on the second floor of Philips Gym. Officers responded and located an individual on Trespass notice. The Oberlin Police Department also responded. The male was taken into custody and charged with trespassing.

4:25 p.m. A student reported the theft of her backpack from the elliptical area in Philips Gym. The bag contained miscellaneous books, papers and a cell phone. The bag was located behind a trashcan in the women’s restroom with the cell phone missing.

9:09 p.m. A student reported the theft of his bicycle, a 21-speed white Mongoose mountain bike with tattered handgrips, from outside of Mudd Library. The bike was not locked at the time of theft.

Saturday, Nov. 5

12:26 a.m. Officers responded to a report of possible vandalism to a door at Asia House. The inner part of the south set of doors was knocked out. A work order was filed for repair.

2:09 a.m. An officer on patrol observed an underage student carrying a six-pack of beer in South Hall. The officer confirmed that the student was under 21 and disposed of the alcohol.

4:41 p.m. A student reported the theft of his bicycle from the Bike Co-op. The bicycle is a five-speed red Nishiki with a bell. The bicycle was missing part of the wheel and its pedals would not turn. It was locked at the time of theft.

Sunday, Nov. 6

11:30 a.m. A student reported that his vehicle was broken into and his radio stolen while parked in Woodland Street parking lot. The Oberlin Police Department also responded.

11:59 a.m. Officers responded to a reported robbery in King Hall. The Oberlin Police Department also responded, and a “Special Alert” was issued.

3:14 p.m. Officers were requested to assist a student who cut her thumb while cutting a rope. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

2:45 p.m. An officer on patrol in the Hollywood Street parking lot observed a screwdriver and towels under a car. A further check showed that the passenger door handle was pried up. The owner was notified and the Oberlin Police responded. A Motorola phone charger and cell phone holder were reported missing from the vehicle.

3:44 p.m. Officers were requested at DeCafé to assist a student who fainted and struck her head. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital.

Monday, Nov. 7

8:27 a.m. A grounds employee reported that a section of fencing was knocked down at the north end of the Woodland Street parking lot.

8:30 a.m. A grounds employee reported that a bench on the south side of Mudd Library was pulled out of the ground and that three bikes were thrown over the wall.

9:13 a.m. A student reported that her bicycle, a blue 21-speed Raleigh, was stolen from the bike rack at South Hall.

4:04 p.m. A student reported the theft of her bicycle from Barrows Hall sometime over fall break. The bike is a green 21-speed men’s frame, make and model unknown.

8:14 p.m. Officers were requested to assist an ill student at East Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

2:57 p.m. Officers were requested to assist a student who splashed chemicals in her eyes. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

Tuesday, Nov. 8

3:14 p.m. A student reported the theft of his bicycle, a gray men’s Huffy Cavern valued at $70, from the front of King Hall.

4:40 p.m. A student reported the theft of her bicycle, a yellow and black 27-inch Trek, from the side of Talcott Hall.

9:00 p.m. Officers were requested to assist with a swimmer who struck her shins on the diving board at Philips Gym. The individual declined transport to the hospital.