Security Report: Oct. 12 – 26, 2011

Staff

Thursday, Oct. 13

9:59 p.m. Officers administered first aid to a student in Langston Hall who cut his thumb. No additional medical treatment was required at the time.

11:18 p.m. Officers were requested to transport an intoxicated individual from an event at Wilder Hall back to the student’s residence.

11:42 p.m. An officer working at Wilder requested transportation to Langston for an intoxicated student.

Friday, October 14

12:01 a.m. An intoxicated student was denied entrance to an event at Wilder. She was transported back to her room in Barrows Hall.

12:03 a.m. An officer on duty at Wilder requested transportation to Barrows for an intoxicated student.

12:14 a.m. Officers responded to a complaint of students throwing fire and running naked in the area around Goldsmith apartments. Two students were located and a six-foot steel baton and a set of poi were confiscated.

2:34 p.m. Officers were requested at Harkness Hall for a Life Safety violation. A bagged smoke detector was found in a second-floor room and removed.

3:55 p.m. Staff at Mudd library reported a juvenile viewing pornography. The juvenile was transported to the police department for his parent to pick up.

10:40 p.m. Officers responded to an unauthorized party in Zechiel Hall. Non-residents of the room were asked to leave.

Saturday, Oct. 15

4 p.m. An officer on patrol observed a break-in at Hales Gym. Nothing appeared to be missing, though debris was scattered throughout the area.

9:20 p.m. Officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on Elm Street. The alarm was activated by smoke from cooking.

Sunday, Oct. 16

1:09 a.m. Officers responded to a noise complaint on Woodland Street. A large unauthorized party was closed down.

3:17 a.m. Officers assisted an intoxicated male from the loading dock area of Mudd back to his room in South Hall.

1:10 p.m. A student reported the theft of his unlocked bicycle from the bike rack at East Hall. The bike is a black men’s Trek Navigator, valued at approximately $350.

1:45 p.m. Officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Union Street apartments. The alarm was set off by smoke from burned toast.

7:12 p.m. Officers were requested at Stevenson Dining Hall to assist with a student employee who fell, injuring his elbow. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital.

7:58 p.m. Officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm in Dascomb Hall. Smoke from a burned grilled cheese activated the alarm.

10:47 p.m. Officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Allencroft. No cause for the activation could be determined, and the alarm was reset.

Monday, Oct. 17

12:12 p.m. A student reported the theft of his unlocked bicycle from either East or South on the previous Wednesday. The bike is a silver and green Trek mountain bike, valued at $600.

5:48 p.m. A student reported the theft of her Nikon camera from a party at Keep Cottage on Saturday night. The camera is black in color and valued at approximately $700.

Tuesday, Oct. 18

10 a.m. A student reported the theft of her bicycle from the east side of Wilder. The men’s bike is gray and blue in color and has horn-like handlebars. It is valued at $120.

3:30 p.m. A student reported the theft of her locked bicycle from the bike racks near Warner Hall the previous Friday. The bike is a single-speed green Schwinn Traveler 3.

8:20 p.m. Staff conducting Life Safety inspections located a bagged smoke detector in Firelands. The bag was removed and discarded.

Wednesday, Oct. 19

5:13 a.m. Custodial staff reported damage to furniture on the first floor of Bibbins Hall. The black leather furniture appeared to have been cut with a razor. Furniture had also been removed from the building. The Oberlin Police Department was notified.

9:30 a.m. Officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Barrows. No cause for the alarm could be found. Electricians responded and the alarm was reset.

Thursday Oct. 20

10:24 a.m. Staff conducting Life Safety inspections at the Goldsmith apartments located a hookah and a can of turpentine in the general living area of an apartment. The items were transported to the Safety and Security Office.

Friday, Oct. 21

3:39 a.m. Officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to an activated carbon monoxide detector at a College Street apartment. The detector had become unplugged, sounding the alarm.

11:19 a.m. Officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at South. Smoke from burned popcorn activated the alarm.

Sunday, Oct. 23

12:44 a.m. Officers were requested to assist a student at Kahn Hall who was ill from alcohol consumption. The student was able to walk on her own and was taken back to her room.

Monday, Oct. 24

2:50 p.m. Officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Allencroft. Electricians also responded, made repairs and reset the alarm.

Tuesday, Oct. 25

5:20 a.m.* Custodial staff reported a maroon two-seat bench missing from the walkway outside the south main lobby of Phillips Gym.

1:39 p.m. A student reported an attempted theft of the College recycling truck from the south Service Building lot. The steering column had been pulled apart, and the keyway was damaged. Oberlin police also responded and the incident is under investigation.

5:45 p.m. A student reported the theft of her locked bicycle from the west side of the Conservatory bike racks. The bike is a blue women’s Key West Sun with white wall tires and a front reflector.

8:10 p.m. Officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to an activated pull station at Barrows. The alarm had been set off accidentally and was reset.