Security Report: Feb. 20 – Feb. 26, 2014

Thursday, Feb. 20

9:36 a.m. Officers requested an ambulance for a student who slipped on the ice and injured her leg. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

3 p.m. A staff member reported that she fell on the sidewalk between Peters Hall and King Building, receiving scrapes to both hands and her right knee. She declined medical treatment at the time.

10:50 p.m. Campus Dining Services staff members reported that they discovered a small plastic baggie containing a green leafy substance consistent with marijuana. The baggie was turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

Friday, Feb. 21

1:15 a.m. Oberlin Inn staff members reported that an intoxicated, disorderly male was at the Oberlin Inn. Members of the Oberlin Police Department responded to the scene, and the male’s family was contacted to pick him up.

2:49 a.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Dascomb Hall. The cause was of the alarm was water leaking into one of the building’s detectors. An electrician responded and made repairs.

12:39 p.m. A facilities staff member reported a minor accident that damaged the tire of a College-owned truck. While in reverse, the driver of the vehicle lost traction on the ice and hit a slate platform, deflating the tire. There were no injuries.

7:53 p.m. Officers were requested to assist a student who slipped and fell down the steps of Firelands Apartments, injuring his head. He was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

8:51 p.m. Officers were requested to assist a student who cut his finger while cutting vegetables at a village house on North Main Street. He was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

11:59 p.m. A resident of Harvey House reported a possible party on the second floor, and that she had observed several students urinating on the outside of the building. When officers arrived, they observed several students exiting the building. The building was checked and found to be party-free.

Saturday, Feb. 22

3:52 a.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at a Union Street Housing Complex. The cause of the alarm was smoke from cooking bacon. The area was cleared of smoke and the alarm was reset. A city of Oberlin crosswalk sign and a College sign were also found in plain view in the apartment. Both items were confiscated.

Sunday, Feb. 23

1:48 a.m. Officers responded to a report of vandalism on the second floor of Langston Hall. The emergency lights were pulled from the ceiling and the exit light was broken. An electrician responded to cap the exposed wires.

2:29 a.m. Officers were requested to assist a student at Dascomb Hall who was ill from alcohol consumption. The student told officers that he was feeling better, and he was able to answer questions and walk on his own. The student was escorted back to his room and advised to call Safety and Security if he needed any more assistance.

10:36 a.m. Officers responded to a report of vandalism on the first floor of East Hall. The vandal(s) pulled down the Exit sign and broke several ceiling tiles. A maintenance technician responded for repairs.

Monday, Feb. 24

1:20 p.m. Officers responded to a report of a bagged smoke detector found at a Union Street Housing Complex apartment. Officers also observed in several pipes, a grinder and burnt candles in plain view. The plastic was removed and the items were confiscated and turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

10:59 p.m. Officers responded to an anonymous call that reported witnessing someone smoking on the second floor of Fairchild House. The occupants of the room in question were contacted and both admitted to smoking marijuana in the room. Two baggies containing a substance consistent with marijuana and a device used for smoking marijuana were confiscated. The items were turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

Tuesday, Feb. 25

3:03 p.m. Officers responded to assist a student who fell down the stairs at Rice Hall, hitting her head. An ambulance was requested and transported the student to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.